samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Daily Struggles of a Post-Study Abroad Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

7:15 a.m. Wake up. Not in a foreign country. 

7:40 a.m. Put on Adidas to head to school.

8 a.m. Find yourself at Einsteins and wondering why they don’t make fresh croissants.

8:10 a.m. What do you MEAN I can’t get a coffee for 2 euro?!?!?!

9:30 a.m. Converse in your foreign language class and it’s really quite refreshing not being spoken back to in English like they did in your host country (even though you tried so, so hard).

10:07 a.m. Receive a text from the group chat with your study abroad buddies every time one of you sees something that remotely reminds you of your other home. There’s a fountain like the other one across the world? Sends picture of EVERY fountain at Chapman. (Hint: it’s a lot and it’s going to take you awhile.)

11:11 a.m. Eat lunch, miss the friends you made at the restaurants you went to every day. Shoutout to my main man at Venchi who knew me for my crepe addiction.

12:15 p.m. Hear that strange mid-day music in the Piazza and it reminds you of all the random street music. (Throwback to that one time of seeing a free concert in Barcelona in front of a church where grown men jumped around in animal onesies on stage singing “High School Musical.” We’re all in this together right?!)

3:30 p.m. Check flight tickets to debate the likeliness of returning to your host country. Tomorrow. 

4:16 p.m. Open Snapchat to find several friends who are currently abroad who wanted to keep you updated. No, I’m not crying, person staring at me in the library.

5:30 p.m. Look through entire study abroad album on Facebook. Then your friend’s albums. And your tagged photos. Repeat on Instagram.

8:00 p.m. Music on shuffle and your study abroad jam pops up bringing you right back. Dance it out, girl!

9:15 p.m. On a serious note, realize the challenge of adjusting back to normal life. 

10 p.m. Kind of enjoy the fact that you take a rest and do not have to be moving every minute.

10:01 p.m. Want to go on any adventure and make the most of your life.

Sure, maybe now there are some struggles, but we can get through this! We wouldn’t have missed our study abroad experiences for the world!