Concert Review: Hoodie Allen’s Happy Camper Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

The energy was tangible as I entered the building that housed Hoodie Allen’s sold out concert. The doors opened at 7:00pm, but people had waited in line before the sun rose that morning, just to snag a spot in front of the stage and hopefully snap a photo with Hoodie Allen himself. The New York native rose to fame in 2012 after his first album was made public, and in 2014 he dropped another album that bolstered his popularity. Fans have been eagerly awaiting for new music, and Hoodie did not disappoint, releasing his latest album, Happy Camper, on the 22nd of January 2016. Thirteen days later, he embarked on the appropriately named Happy Camper Tour.

The Observatory was the fifth stop of the nationwide tour, and was filled with high expectations.  Hoodie’s reputation of being a highly interactive performer coupled with the intimacy of a general admission venue left people speculating about the intensity of the show to come. At 8:00pm, the lights dimmed and the concert began.

Hoodie Allen’s set was preceded by performances from R&B/Rap singer Blackbear and Hip Hop artist SuperDuperKyle. Both musicians effectively intensified the crowds’ excitement, showcasing their vocal ranges and dance skills, punctuating each song with small anecdotes to connect to the audience. Both opening acts were examples of how raw talent and dedication can lead to success, as their voices were as controlled and melodic as they sound on an album. The crowd was singing, dancing, and jumping up and down with the singers, their anticipation growing with the passing of every song.

At 10:00pm, Hoodie Allen finally stepped onto the stage. He opened his set with “Introduction to Anxiety,” the first track on his newest album. He performed many of the songs from Happy Camper, alternating those songs with hits like “All About It,” “No Faith in Brooklyn,” “Small Town,” “Two Lips,” and “Act My Age.” Of course, Hoodie Allen couldn’t complete an iconic show without having some surprises thrown in as well. For his performances of “Champagne and Pools” and “Surprise Party,” Blackbear and SuperDuperKyle joined him on stage, inciting wild reactions from the crowd. He also covered 21 Pilots’ hit “Stressed Out” while standing in the middle of the crowd. During “Cake Boy,” he threw cakes into the crowd, causing a sugary food fight. The last of his shenanigans involved an attempt to crowd surf through the entire room on a blow-up raft. That plan ended Titanically; after about 10 seconds of ‘surfing,’ he toppled off of the raft and into the crowd. Within seconds, security had surrounded him and lifted him back onto the stage, and the concert continued without interruption.

Speaking of interruptions, Hoodie Allen closed the show with his hit song “No Interruptions.” As smoke shot into the air and confetti snowed down, the room turned into a roiling mass of dancing bodies. As the lights faded and the last note resonated into silence, individuals in the crowd made their way to the ‘merch’ table, enticed by the possibility of meeting Blackbear, SuperDuperKyle, and Hoodie Allen. Sure enough, all three were waiting, ready to snap photos and sign merchandise.

All in all, Hoodie Allen’s performance was fairly spectacular. He was extremely interactive and knew how to work a crowd, and repeatedly thanked his fans for continuing to support him. A respectful, talented, and fun performer, Hoodie Allen is definitely an artist worth seeing live.