Chronicles of Dating a Nice Guy: Opposites Don’t Attract

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

We have all heard the infamous saying “opposites attract.” Well, I’m here to say that they definitely do not, no matter how hard you try.

For example, there are a lot of things that me and my ex boyfriend (remember, the “nice guy”) did not agree on. Sometimes it was okay, and sometimes it was just too much.

A little bit of diversity is always good, but sometimes the gap is too far apart (just as you and this guy should be).

I’m not saying if you don’t like the same color, it’s doomed; I’m saying that maybe if your entire lifestyle is one way and his is another, it’s not going to work.

A main difference in lifestyle is differing political opinions. Again, I mean when the ideas are extreme. Personally, as a liberal, I could not handle my ex being ecstatic about our new president.

However, I do believe this election was different. If someone is a Republican, I can handle that, if, and only if, they have a logical reasoning for it.

For example, I hated when “nice guy” used to say, “I want Trump because he is the Republican candidate, and my family is Republican, so I want him.” That is something I couldn’t handle, and it drove me insane.

Also, I did not agree with the fact that as a journalist, “nice guy” was okay with someone being in power that didn’t respect me and put my career path in jeopardy. The other aspect of a Trump supporter that I couldn’t handle is the idea that they are probably sexist or do not care that much about you if they believe half the things Trump has said.

However, politics is not the only issue that leads to breakups. Another one is different life choices, such as school or work.

No, I’m not saying you have to marry someone with the same career as you (actually, that may be even worse). What I mean is if you’re a mad scientist and your boyfriend has no education past 6th grade, it’s not going to work.

For me, I need someone just as driven as I am. But absolutely under no circumstance do I need a “know-it-all” kind of guy. Those are the worst.

This might be an obvious one, but if he’s boring and you’re into going out and doing fun things, dump him. Yes, sometimes it’s nice to be low-key and casual, but sometimes you want to live it up, and that’s okay.

It’s just the middle line between party animal and couch potato that’s hard to find. But when you find it (I mean I wouldn’t know;  I just assume) then it’s perfect.

I don’t want a guy I have to beg to go to prom with me. I want one that’ll want to dance with me and just have a great time.

Honestly, with everything in life, people are different. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa, but from my experiences, watch out for those opposites.