Campus Cutie Ian Wooster ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Name: Ian Wooster

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: Digital Art

Hometown: Boston, MA

Relationship Status: Single

Affiliation: Delta Tau Delta

If you could plan your dream date, what would it look like?

Whatever it is, it has to be spontaneous. Instead of going out for food we’d end up cooking – so many things can go wrong when assembling an omelet with two people – that’s when you start learning the most about each other. It’s those little embarrassing moments you share together that start building chemistry and lifting tensions. Don’t get me wrong though, we’ll still dress classy.

Favorite movie?

Dead Poet’s Society. As someone pursuing art as a profession, this movie gets me up in the morning. “…Poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”

Favorite Chapman memory?

I can’t put a finger on what exactly the memory is, but I think my friendship with my freshman year roommate Spencer Flynn really encompasses it. We both came to Chapman nervous about our futures – but over the past two years we’ve been through an incredible amount together, and have learned to truly make the most of any situation. Living 3000 miles away from any direct family gets pretty brutal sometimes, and it’s really the friends I have out here that make this ridiculous journey worth it.

Favorite food?

You haven’t lived until you’ve had a fresh lobster roll on Martha’s Vineyard.

10 years from now, what would you like your life to look like?

In an ideal world, I’d want to live in a studio in either San Francisco, Seattle, New York, or Boston. As long as I’m creative every day, I think I’ll be happy with where I’m at, regardless of what job title that may hold. To quote the artist Youth Lagoon, “When I was seventeen, my mother said to me ‘Don’t stop imagining. The day that you do is the day that you die.'”

What’s something not a lot of people know about you?

I’m a huge fashion nerd. Also, my wine and cheese game is on point. (When I’m not in the US, of course.)

What is something you’ve always wanted to do but never had the chance to?

I really want to start a band at Chapman. I played a lot of instruments growing up so that isn’t the issue – but Chapman’s live music scene is just nonexistent. It kills me to see Chapman hiring DJs for parent’s weekend with everyone on memorial lawn or in the Piazza. Live music would give Chapman’s student body more personality than it’s ever had. Granted, it’s pretty easy to get hyped for a DJ, but there’s rarely any character there, it’s really kind of dull. Petition to get Doti to fund a Chapman spring music festival?

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I think Florence, Italy is at the top of my list right now, and if all goes well I should be studying abroad there in the fall this year. Florence is just the mecca of everything I love to spend my time with – incredible art history, perfect food, and a brilliant sense for street fashion and style. The opportunity to study art in the city that was once the heart of the Renaissance is something I can’t pass up.