The Best Quotes from Jennifer Lawrence’s Essay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Lena Dunham recently launched Lenny Letter, an online newsletter with articles on feminism, beauty, health and much more. In the most recent issue, Jennifer Lawrence took the opportunity to address the gender pay gap. She has already stolen our hearts through her interviews, her friendship with Amy Schumer, and falling at the Academy Awards, but her powerful essay reminds us that Hollywood and society as a whole still have a lot of progress to make. Here are some highlights from her letter:

“I would be lying if I didn’t say there was an element of wanting to be liked that influenced my decision to close the deal without a real fight. I didn’t want to seem “difficult” or “spoiled.” “

“But this is an element of my personality that I’ve been working against for years, and based on the statistics, I don’t think I’m the only woman with this issue. Are we socially conditioned to behave this way? “

“All I hear and see all day are men speaking their opinions, and I give mine in the same exact manner, and you would have thought I had said something offensive.”

“I’m over trying to find the “adorable” way to state my opinion and still be likable! Fuck that.”