This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

I’ll always be incredibly thankful that my parents always made it a point to teach me about kindness and the importance of it as a core value. I know there are many other people in the world that grew up around similar situations and for that I am also grateful. However, it saddens me to see the amount of people that didn’t, those people that quite frankly can’t even define kindness. And now, more than ever, I wish it was almost obligatory for everyone to grow up kind.

We live in a crazy world, a beautiful atmosphere that provides us with countless opportunities to be kind and happy and to cherish and further improve it, yet most of the time as humans, we fail our very own planet. Most of the issues that arise nowadays and have throughout the years have been because the human kind is a selfish species. We need to focus on becoming selfless, and only then can we be truly kind.

Empathy is one of the most important things when considering kindness. The ability to feel what other people might be experiencing makes all the difference in being kind. We all have our battles, our own problems imagine how much better of a world we’d be in if we were all able to just show the slightest amount of kindness in the hopes of bettering their experience on this planet. Holding a door open for someone else, saying thank you and please, complimenting someone’s appearance or intellectuality, even the slightest things can make this world such a better place.

In being kind, there can’t be any racism, any classism, there shouldn’t be any religious hatred, or opposition of something as natural as love. It isn’t about being kind to only those with green cards, or allowing only certain people to marry freely. No person is better than the next based on race, gender, where they work or how much money they make. Today, the world has shown us how much hatred it can spread, let’s show it how kindness can overcome it.

I know ‘try’ isn’t the correct word, I don’t like telling people to ‘try’ to be kind, they should just be kind and that should be the end of it. However, if reading this article is too much to handle, all I can leave you with is to at least ‘try’ to be kind. Try to be the person that causes someone else to smile, to have a better day, to live a kinder life. Try to always choose to be kind in an unkind world.