Album Review: 5 Seconds of Summer’s Soulful “Sounds Good Feels Good”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

5 Seconds of Summer has proved their staying power and that they’re staying true to themselves with their ever growing fanbase since they dropped their self-titled debut album last year and their reign continues with their sophomore album, “Sounds Good Feels Good”. Less love songs and more real life struggles show how much this band has grown in such a short amount of time. While they loved touring and their fans, it did take a toll on them as drummer Ashton Irwin told The Daily Telegraph, “We try to talk to each other and try to pull each other through. You realize there are huge ups and huge downs. And it gets tiring, you know?”. They pulled through in their lyrics, the creation of their New Broken Scene, and their messages of positivity throughout the album.

The album opens up to sounds of them entering a rehearsal space in “Money”, but pulls you in quickly with a loud, fun, “TAKE MY MONEY!”. That’s exactly what you’ll say upon hearing the whole song. It shows the crazy side of their lifestyle of shows and the good highs of life and gets you headbanging all the way through.

The lead single off the album, “She’s Kinda Hot”, became one of the biggest songs of this summer and it’s easy to see why, as it was incredibly well-written with the help of legendary producer, John Feldmann, and Benji and Joel Madden. Guitarist, Michael Clifford, explained the concept of “The New Broken Scene”, which is referenced in the song, and said in a Ryan Seacrest interview, “If you read deeper into the lyrics it’s like an anthem for misfit kids, and I think that’s an important part for this next album. We’ve started this thing called ‘The New Broken Scene’ which is like our way of starting a rebellion… Like a revolution for these kids to just get behind us and lead this New Broken Scene into being okay to be whoever you wanna be. It’s cool to be different.” Feel free to scream this one at the top of your lungs in teenage (or post-adolescent) angst, it feels great.

Their newest single, “Hey Everybody!” gives Duran Duran writing credit due to it being very reminiscent of “Hungry Like The Wolf”. It’s another song with character and is about making the most of what you have, despite a lack of money. That’s something we can all relate to as college kids and millenials in general.

“Permanent Vacation” was introduced on their tour in May as a big crowd involvement song. It’s also anthemic for young people in a very corporate world and the refusal to conform. “Jet Black Heart” is heart-crushing ballad that highlights a darker tone and the voices of Michael and bassist, Calum Hood, quickly becoming a fan favorite for its lyrical depth and meaning. “Catch Fire” is one of the poppier songs on the album with a sweet drumline-like beat in the background and is very lyrically influenced by All Time Low as it was co-written by their lead singer (and 5SOS’ hero), Alex Gaskarth.

“Waste The Night” is a favorite of Ashton’s since it was written in Los Angeles and the drumming is very much inspired by The Killers. It’s a song that reminds you of all those late night adventures and their aftermath with its interlude. It also shows off the voice of singer and guitarist, Luke Hemmings. Another favorite of the band’s is “Vapor”, which is one of the few love songs on the album and is about being completely enamored with love and savoring moments with someone in spite of everything. “Castaway” is decidedly less optimistic and rockier in the best way possible about a broken love. “Fly Away” gives Michael and Calum more solos again and is another banger all about running away and living life to the fullest.

“Invisible” is a deeply personal track about not knowing yourself and feeling like you’re already gone before you can run away. “Airplanes” again shows a pattern of alternating sad and happy songs as a song about being invincible in vulnerability with people you care about, but also finding yourself. “San Francisco” utilizes an acoustic guitar and emphasis on the orchestra, giving the song a certain brightness as the song brings a longing and summery nostalgia. This one has another nice interlude. “Outer Space/Carry On” is collectively the band’s favorite song for its lyrics and progressive-rock feel of being two songs in one. It’s a beautiful way to end the album as the first part is about running back to a love and being positive about renewal. The second part comes after ambient beach noises and goes into a message of “You know it’s gonna get better” as that specific line ends the album.

The deluxe and Target deluxe versions of the album are well worth getting too, with three more tracks (and another two on the Target one) that are very underrated and could’ve easily made it onto the standard cut.

Overall, “Sounds Good Feels Good” is an extremely well-made album that is bound to mean a lot to a lot of fans and shows how Luke, Michael, Ashton, and Calum have evolved in their writing and musicianship and they really gave their all and more with this album. Newcomers, give it a listen and see if it doesn’t soften your heart just a little bit.