8 Ridiculous Clothing Trends You Used to Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

8. Skate shoes

Back in 2005, you never stepped foot on a skateboard. But that didn’t stop you from heading to Tilly’s and begging your mom to drop $50 on Vans, Etnies, or DC skate shoes. Something about wearing the same shoes as all those cute Sk8r boys with long-ish hair made you feel so badass.

Usually paired with: Socks that don’t show (obviously). 

7. Shrugs

You loved these things. Seriously. You wore them all the time even though they were never suitable for any season (too sweater-y for spring and summer, yet not sweater-y enough for fall and winter).

Usually paired with: Really long tank tops.

6. Belts that served no purpose

OMG this one could be the worst. What was the point of wearing a belt OVER a shirt? You would never put them through your belt loops, therefore completely defeating the purpose of a belt.

Usually paired with: A halter or tank top and flared jeans.

5. Miniskirts over mid-calf leggings

I get the feeling that the only reason this trend began was to avoid getting dress coded for those super-hot denim miniskirts that you used to love. Your miniskirt may not have been arms-length, but the leggings you wore under them sure were (sneaky, sneaky).

4. (Extremely) long sleeved shirts

I distinctly remember limiting my hand movements in order to keep my long sleeved shirt over my wrists. Some girls even went as far as to cut holes for their thumbs to ensure that their long sleeves stayed in place.

Usually paired with: A lace cami.

3. Headbands

Lauren Conrad was the freaking queen of these things.

Usually paired with: That poof you used to make with your bangs (you know what I’m talking about).

2. Shirts that said things like this on them:

Throwback to when Abercrombie stirred controversy by selling this shirt to children. Your mother was mortified, but you didn’t understand what the big deal was (until now).

Usually paired with: low-rise short shorts or flare jeans.

1. Anything and everything Abercrombie/Hollister

Speak of… Abercrombie, (which owns Hollister) is a company that is known to exclude pretty much anyone who isn’t thin, attractive, or white. It kind of makes me feel bad that I made my parents drop so much money on their overpriced, low quality clothes. But you know what they say: “Never regret anything that once made you happy” (including Abercrombie, I guess).

Usually paired with: Anything and everything else Abercrombie/Hollister.