8 Hidden Gems On Netflix You Need To Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

As a sophomore in college, I’ve realized there are a few key essentials that I am so thankful I invested in while doing my pre-college shopping, such as my Keurig, planner, and unbelievably soft throw blanket to name a few. Of all these things, I’m confident that my most valuable college necessity is definitely my Netflix subscription. Sure, I’ve probably wasted well over a few days worth of my time watching Netflix, but I wouldn’t trade them back for anything. I mean it’s not like it’s been a total waste of my time. In fact, I’ve learned some things from watching Netflix. Orange is the New Black taught me I should probably steer clear of involving myself in the transportation of illegal drugs and Grey’s Anatomy taught me if I’m ever in a situation where someone goes into v-fib, I should push one of epi, charge to 200 and clear!

While these situations are a bit far-fetched, in all seriousness, Netflix is truly a college student’s best friend. However, spending time searching for a good movie to watch can be a bit tedious sometimes. I decided to make life a little easier for you and came up with a list of eight hidden gems on Netflix you need to watch and can stream right now! 

1. Blue Valentine: A complex portrait of a contemporary American marriage, “Blue Valentine” tells the story of David and Cindy, a couple who have been together for several years but who are at an impasse in their relationship. While Cindy has blossomed into a woman with opportunities and options, David is still the same person he was when they met, and he is unable to accept either Cindy’s growth or his lack of it. Innovatively structured, the narrative unfolds in two distinct time frames, juxtaposing scenes of first love and youthful sexuality with those of disenchantment and discord.

2. Adventureland: Inspired by writer/director Greg Mottola’s own true-life job-from-hell experience, Adventureland stars The Education of Charlie Banks’ Jesse Eisenberg as an uptight recent college graduate who discovers that he’ll have to get a degrading minimum-wage job at a local amusement park instead of spending his summer drinking German beer, visiting world-class museums, and flirting with cute French girls. It’s the summer of 1987, and James Brennan (Eisenberg) has just graduated from college. James is all set to embark on his dream tour of Europe when his parents (Wendie Malick and Jack Gilpin) suddenly announce that they won’t be able to subsidize the trip. Now the only things James has to look forward to this summer are sugar-fueled children, belligerent dads, and an endless parade of giant stuffed animals. When James strikes up a relationship with captivating co-worker Em (Kristen Stewart), however, he finally starts to loosen up. Suddenly, the worst summer ever doesn’t seem quite so bad.

3. Stuck in Love: Three years past his divorce, veteran novelist Bill Borgens (Academy Award (R) nominee Greg Kinnear) can’t stop obsessing over, let alone spying on, his ex-wife Erica (Academy Award (R) winner Jennifer Connelly), who ignominiously left him for another man. Even as his neighbor-with-benefits, Tricia (Kristen Bell) tries to push him back into the dating pool, he remains blind to anyone else’s charms. Meanwhile, his fiercely independent collegiate daughter Samantha (Lily Collins) is publishing her first novel while recoiling at the very thought of first love with a diehard romantic (Logan Lerman); and his teen son Rusty (Nat Wolff) is trying to find his voice, both as a fantasy writer and as the unexpected boyfriend of a dream girl with unsettlingly real problems. As each of these situations mounts into a tangled trio of romantic holiday crises, it brings the Borgens to surprising revelations about how endings become beginnings.

4. The Switch: The Switch is an offbeat comedy about Kassie, a smart, fun-loving single woman who, despite her slightly neurotic best friend Wally’s objections, decides it’s time to have a baby-even if it means doing it by herself- with a little help from a charming sperm donor. But, unbeknownst to her, Kassie’s plans go awry because of a last-minute switch that isn’t discovered until seven years later when Wally finally gets acquainted with Kassie’s precocious-though slightly neurotic-son. 

5. Tonight You’re Mine: Tonight You’re Mine is a free-wheeling rock ‘n’ roll love story set against the raucous magnificence and unforgettable sounds of Scotland’s leading music Festival. The film features Luke Treadaway (Brothers of the Head, Clash of the Titans) as strutting indie star Adam, one half of globally successful duo The Make. Arriving at T in the Park for his gig, during an impromptu backstage fight, Adam finds himself accidentally handcuffed to punky girl-band The Dirty Pink’s leader Morello (Natalia Tena – Mrs Henderson Presents, Harry Potter) and they have to spend the following 24 hours inseparably joined together. During the long night’s journey into day, frustration eventually gives way to grudging acceptance of the situation and this leads to them eventually falling for each other.

6. Little Black Book: Directed by Nick Hurran, Little Black Book follows Stacy (Brittany Murphy), an associate producer of a popular daytime talk show starring Kippie Kann (Kathy Bates), as she tries to figure out the root of her boyfriend’s (Ron Livingston) commitment-phobic nature. Rather than continue to fruitlessly question Derek (Livingston) regarding his slew of failed relationships, Stacy sneaks into his Palm Pilot and begins interviewing his ex-girlfriends under the pretense of gathering information for a future show. Though she justifies the deception with her need to find out whether or not Derek can be trusted for a long-term relationship, complications arise when Stacy becomes good friends with one of Derek’s former flames. 

7. Sleepless in Seattle: It’s Christmas Eve and radio talk show psychologist Marcia Fieldstone has asked her listening audience what they are wishing and dreaming of during this season of hope. A little boy, who is tuned in from Seattle calls in his wish, a new wife for his father who has been widowed for a year and a half. Meanwhile, all the way across the country, punching buttons on her car radio as she drives from Baltimore to Washington, D.C., Annie Reed hears Jonah and is immediately captivated by him and his selfless Christmas wish. Jonah and his dad are immediately besieged by countless letters from listeners reaching out to help, including thousands of marriage proposals from women across the country. Meanwhile, Annie becomes convinced that it is her destiny to meet Sam, Jonah’s lovely dad. And as Annie sees it, there are just two minor problems. First, she is presently engaged to marry another man whom she does love. And, of course, Jonah’s dad does not even know yet that he and Annie are made for each other.

8. Safe Haven: An affirming and suspenseful story about a young woman’s struggle to love again, Safe Haven is based on the novel from Nicholas Sparks, the best-selling author behind the hit films The Notebook and Dear John. When a mysterious young woman arrives in a small North Carolina town, her reluctance to join the tight knit community raises questions about her past. Slowly, she begins putting down roots, and gains the courage to start a relationship with Alex, a widowed store owner with two young children. But dark secrets intrude on her new life with such terror that she is forced to rediscover the meaning of sacrifice and rely on the power of love in this deeply moving romantic thriller.

All movie summaries are courtesy of Netflix and pictures courtesy of Google.