Culture > News

7 Things That Are Still Illegal For Women in America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

We thought that “all men are created equal” applied to women too, especially in this day and age. But in fact, the wage gap is not the only issue in this country that supposedly values feminine empowerment. Here are a few laws that are still being enforced in the United States that may shock you:

1. In South Carolina and Mississippi, it’s a punishable offense to accept a marriage proposal and not follow through.

2. As per North Carolina’s definition of rape, you can’t change your mind about giving consent.

3. In Carmel, California, you can’t wear high heels over two inches without a permit.

4. In Florida, Michigan and Mississippi, you can’t live with your boyfriend.

5. In Whitesville, Delaware it is illegal for a woman to propose to a man. A woman who does so can be charged with “disorderly conduct”. 

6. Women can’t do their own hair in Oklahoma without being licensed by the state.

7. In Carrizozo, New Mexico, it is illegal for a woman to appear unshaven in public. That means that having any kind of hair (other than that growing on the head) is illegal for women to have. 

Sources: Huffington Post, Times Magazine, and Tumblr

Co-written with Christina Cherekdjian