6 Tips for Getting in Exercise When You’re Bored of the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

The gym is great because it’s convenient, and the variety to choose from is plentiful. But what do you do when you’ve become tired of the routine? The gym, though very practical, can get very old. Here are some tips to get in your exercise, without having to hit the elliptical for the fourth time in a week. 

1. Power Clean
Blast the music, and get cleaning. As fast as you can! You’ll burn calories and be able to find the other shoe later. 

2. Get Out for a Day Trip
It can be just a morning, afternoon, or night—or, it can be a whole day or even weekend. Get out there and hike your way to a picnic in the hills, surf the midday swell, or find a buddy to jog with in the mornings. Outdoor recreation is some of the best!
3. Try a New Sport
What type of athletics are you good at? What kinds would you want to see yourself improve in? From joining a local rock wall gym, to getting ready to take the tennis courts, to plunging off a high dive, there is a sport for everyone. Never played before? The try or effort is still better than sitting at home!
4. Invest In a Membership to the Local YMCA
You can ask a buddy to sign up with you, or just do your own thing. Take advantage of the broad range of facilities—from swimming pools to gymnastic centers, YMCAs have it all. 
5. Forget Hunting for the Best Parking 
Having to park at a distance may seem annoying, but it can be beneficial to your health! Drop a few extra calories walking farther from the car to the door. In addition, you can even save a few minutes by not taking the time to find the perfect spot. Instead, settle for a simple place to park a little farther away.
6. Always Take the Stairs
Even if it means getting to work or school five minutes early to make the hike to your floor, it doesn’t hurt to take the stairs. The elevator may be less effort, but your calves and thighs will thank you for those extra steps!

With some simply everyday tips, and some to save for planning later, give these a try make time for fitness without feeling obligated to hit the gym every day.