5 Ways to Spice Up Instant Food (Right From Your Dorm Room)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. Simple Mac & Cheese

We all love a nice bowl of stringy homemade mac and cheese–but can’t achieve that with the abnormally orange powder that comes with the instant kind. So, instead, here is the most simple mac and cheese recipe made right in your dorm in 5 minutes.

1 Kraft Easy Mac microwaveable cup

⅓ cup of Mexican blend shredded cheese

1 spoonful of butter

Follow the instructions on the package for the mac and cheese. After in microwave, stir, and let sit for about 2 minutes, until more water is soaked up. Then, carefully drain as much water is possible. Add butter and cheese, mix, instagram that cheese-pull, and enjoy!

2. Apple Pie Oatmeal

Perfect for fall time, this apple pie oatmeal is a great breakfast for when you’re feeling too sleepy to go to the dining hall. It’s easy, fast, and tastes amazing–you’ll be addicted to these yummy fall flavors.

1 packet of Quaker instant oatmeal, Apples & Cinnamon flavor

A dash of cream

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 apple

Empty packet of oatmeal into a bowl. Slowly add hot water, stirring as you go, until the powder texture of the oatmeal has dissolved. The oatmeal should be clumpy and not watery. Add cream. Cut up apple into cubes and sprinkle over the oatmeal, topping with cinnamon, and enjoy!

3. Spicy Ramen and 4. Vegan “Bacon & Cheddar” Ramen

Stacked high on the shelves and shoved under the beds of every college student across the country is some type of ramen. It’s cheap, fast, and delicious, but sometimes the flavors get a bit boring. Here are two recipes to make this ramen dinner taste a bit different than last nights.

Spicy Ramen:

1 chicken flavor Cup Noodles

Sriracha sauce

Prepare cup noodles, drain soup, drizzle sriracha (to taste), and eat! Super fast and cheap.

Vegan “Bacon & Cheddar” Ramen:

1 Soon Veggie Noodle Soup vegan ramen

⅓  cup Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds

1 tbs Organic Bac’uns Bacon Bits Alternative

Prepare cup noodles, drain soup, add “cheese” and “bacon” alternatives, stir, and enjoy! Make sure to do this while it is still hot, so that the cheese melts.

5. Instant Truffle Mashed Potatoes

Having a tseudo “dinner party” in your dorm room? Grab some cheap & sweet Stella Rosa wine, set out some crackers and delish Trader Joe’s cheeses, and whip up this amazing and trendy mashed potato dish in seconds–you don’t even have to be a good chef, I promise! It doesn’t even require a stove. Here’s how to make it:

Yield: 4

2 packs of homestyle pre-made mashed potatoes

2 tsp black truffle oil (for a strong truffle flavor) OR 2 tsp black truffle salt (for a mild truffle flavor)

⅓ cup butter

Follow the microwave instructions for the potatoes on the box. Stir in butter and let melt. Let cool for 5 minutes, then add truffle flavoring. Impressive & serve!