5 Reasons You Should Be Listening to The Summer Set

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

You may have heard of The Summer Set before this moment. Whether you were jumping along to “Chelsea”, put their best-selling “Boomerang” on repeat, or are a hardcore fan of theirs who’ve seen the Arizona group on multiple rounds of Warped Tour, it’s time to rediscover them in all their greatness before April 1st, which is when their new album, “Stories For Monday”, drops. Need more convincing? Here are five reasons you should be listening to The Summer Set.

1. Their new single, “Figure Me Out”, is an anthem for today’s youth.

From the very first line about not knowing where you fit in to the very last line about just wanting to make our parents proud and all the moments in between, this song has a no-holds barred honesty policy. Brian Logan Dales’ words are not only inspiring others, but he claims this is the song that saved him right when he was going to give up music for good. “Figure Me Out” was more therapy for him than a hit, which is what it has been since its release. If this is what “Stories for Monday” sounds like, you are going to want to keep your ears open.

2. Brian Logan Dales’ Monday blog posts will start your weeks off right.

A more recent thing that has happened is the lead singer’s weekly blog posts. Prepare to eagerly await Mondays from now until April (and hopefully after that) to read Brian’s takes on life and how quickly things are being shaken up for the band again. You’ll see that not only does he have a way with words in their music, but in his writing too. You can find all of them here: http://youngforthesummer.tumblr.com

3. The story of their past year is (almost) unbelievable and crazy inspiring.

After their tour last summer, the band had a sit down in September, decided on a farewell album, and essentially broke up. After a realization of how good “Stories for Monday” really was and they found their footing again, they’re giving the band another try and have no plans of breaking up anytime soon. You can read the full story in this month’s Alternative Press or on Brian’s Tumblr, which I highly recommend because to read their words about what happened shows so much hope for those trying to pursue their dreams.

4. They have songs for your every mood.

From introspective to letting loose to sappy to downtrodden, there’s no song on their records that you can’t relate to. While there are many differences between their first release, “Love Like This” and their most recent, “Legendary”, songs about love, friends, and life are presented in very honest ways, but are still very fun in the process. They balance emotion very well in every situation, which makes for great records overall.

5. They’re going on their “Stories for Monday” Tour very very soon!

10 minutes from Chaptown, they kick off their tour at the Anaheim House of Blues on April 13th and have another nearby show at The Roxy in LA in May. They’re going to play their longest set ever with the new, the old, and the really throwback. It’s bound to be a great show, so check it out before tickets disappear!