4 Steps Towards Resilience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Resilience: the ability to “bounce back”. This gift helps us recover from challenging times and make the most of what we have. Resilience is certainly not always a particularly easy trait to grasp, so here is a list of ways to help create a more resilient you! 

Dedication

As cliché as it sounds, you have to believe that you can do anything you put your mind to, no matter how hard times get. Envision what you want. You may have absolutely no clue how to achieve this magnificent goal, but you should know that you can do it because you can. You’ve gotten through every moment to be alive reading this article right now and you are going to make the most of many more. Believing that you are good enough and fully capable of living the life you desire is honestly such a large part of the battle. 

A Positive Mindset

This is the ability to spin every negative into a positive. A very special trait to resilience is the ability to find ways to work with any circumstance and make any circumstance work for you. If you look for the good in situations, you are bound to see the good because you are open to it.

Switching Up Your Everyday Routine

Not sticking to the same old routine helps increase your flexibility when you are faced with unexpected challenges. You become more accustomed to surprises and random events Take a new way to school. Try out tennis. Team up with some friends and eat at a new restaurant. Changing your activities on a day to day basis helps prepare you for many things that life can throw your way.

Have a why behind your actions

If you take anything from this article, it should be to have a “why” behind all of your actions. By this, I mean that you need have reasons why you live life every day. As humans, we love logic. We need a reason to be resilient. It sounds so simple, but each of these “whys” should be pieces that can spark a light of hope or an instant of courageous action at any point. Find your why behind life. “He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.” -Friedrich Nietzsche