4 Best Places to get Decent Coffee Around Here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

There is truly nothing like a good cup of coffee or a perfectly foamed latte. It can not only immediately wake you up, but it brightens your day, and makes it feel like that $4 you have to spend of coffee was actually worth your time.

Take a quick moment to answer these questions for me:

– Are you the type of person who has to account for the amount of money you spend on coffee weekly?

– Do you like to know where your coffee comes from?

– Do understand what a real macchiato is? (No, Starbucks, it isn’t a huge caramel drink with a ton of foam, but thank you for trying to overcharge me.)

– Do you get a weird calming sensation when your mouth touches that perfectly brewed cup?

– Do you have a sign, shirt, or screenshot on your phone that says, “But first… coffee.” (Don’t worry we all do)

If you answered to three or more above as ‘Yes’, then congratulations, you have made it the elite group of being a coffee brat. If you answered a majority of ‘No’, well then go climb into the thirty minute wait at Starbucks and you can read this article detailing the better coffee around her will moving two feet in ten minutes.

Personally, I cannot survive without one (or five) cups of coffee or shots of espresso a day. I also am definitely the kind of person who keeps accounts for the amount of money she spends weekly on coffee. And seeing as I’ll only go to Starbucks if I’m desperate, or even, at a very low moment, Einstein’s, I have had to find other sources to feed my coffee needs.

That is why I am going to share with you my four favorite places to get coffee in Orange:

PORTOLA COFFEE 

143 N Glassell St, Orange, CA 92866         

I just recently discovered this gem and it was like an answer from the coffee gods. This roastery has other locations in Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, and Tustin and they are known for the car put into making every espresso drink or cup of coffee. Every year, the owner’s travel in search of the best beans in the world, typically scouring South America and Africa. They value the farm to cup process and put a lot of passion behind the journey of the coffee. 

The coffee is a decent price ranging from a $3 espresso shot to a $4 latte, and the best part is it right down the road in good ol’ Old Towne Orange.

AUSSIE BEAN

That little truck outside of Beckman, Orange, CA, 92867

Aussie Bean is my go to before class caffeinated drink. Not only is their espresso so strong that it will keep you focused and wake you up instantaneously, but it tastes damn good. Aussie Bean is another roastery that takes beans from some of the best parts of the world and expertly combines it with milk (almond, 2%, or whole) to make an awesome hot or iced drink. And seriously, the line is shorter than Starbucks, like miles shorter, and costs the same, but whatever, you do you basic coffee lovers.

NEWPORT COFFEE CO. 

104 Mc Fadden Pl, Newport Beach, CA 92663

Well first and foremost, they sell my second most favorite coffee, Stumptown, and secondly, they serve said coffee out of the motherload of espresso machines, the La Marzocco. Each barista is extremely well trained, by an employee of Stumptown headquarters in LA, making each cup served, a perfectly done so one. Not only does this gem of a cafe sell amazing coffee, but they also serve acai bowls and baked goods, perfect for a morning after surfing (if you can actually be active without coffee that early), or as a nice place to escape to every once in a while.

THE WAFFLE AFFAIR 

1064 Bayside Dr #1064, Newport Beach, CA 92660

I mean first off, it’s called Waffle Affair, so you know it’s about to be a good time. But, most importantly, and this is very important: they sell Illy coffee. If you are wondering, “Ugh… what’s Illy?” Well first off, I am so sorry you have been deprived until now, and secodnly it is truthfully the world’s best espresso. Yes I realize this is a strong statement, and yes it may be because I have a strong love of all things Italian, but these Italian grown beans bring a strong, yet sweet flavor to coffee drinks that simply put, no one else can compete with. Make the treck for this one, and not only will you be rewarded with the best coffee ever to touch your tongue, but waffles, that are apparently having an affair!

So coffee lovers, brats, and confidants, go forth and enjoy a good cup a joe – or better yet espresso – and not that your wallet, and taste buds, are in good hands.