15 Ways to Appreciate (or At Least Survive) the Last 15 Days of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

I know, I know. It’s that time of year. You’re stressed and want to be at the beach relaxing rather than in the library with bags under your eyes, pulling your hair out because finals are coming, and there’s too much to do. I’m right there with you, looking freakishly like this:

But don’t worry, summer will arrive. Soon you’ll be home… and most likely missing your college friends and your college life. Hindsight is always 20/20. Don’t let this time go to waste wishing you were somewhere else — take advantage of all your university has to offer in these last few weeks! You’re almost at the finish line, but don’t forget to enjoy the journey, and be grateful for your university life. 

1. Take a deep breath. You’re so close to summer — it’s all going to be okay. One day at a time.

2. Make a list of the highs and lows of this semester. Then reflect. 

3. Start planning next semester. This is the time to jump on potential opportunities for the fall — keep your ears open!

4. Let yourself rest if needed. It may be the pre-final cram, but don’t forget to take care of you. Take advantage of your cozy little dorm room and all it has to offer.

5. Send notes of encouragement to your college friends. They’re probably stressed too. It’s going to be a long two months without them, so might as well let them know you love ’em now, right?

6. Take a walk alone through campus. Preferably at a serene time of day, such as sunrise or sunset. Take it all in and appreciate the beautiful place you call your second home. 

7. Go crazy with activities! So often we forget how much campus has to offer, because we get stuck in the same-old routines. Check out some events you might not have automatically considered. Take advantage of the constant activity while it lasts.

8. Start connecting with your friends back home! They are excited to see you too and could use a reminder of how awesome the summer is going to be. Change is a good thing, and you’ll get to share all of your university adventures with them (so keep making memories to share)!

9. Make a summer bucket-list! It’ll motivate you to get through.

10. Exercise. It’s the best stress reliever, so they say. Also, you aren’t going to have free campus gym access forever…

11. Plan a goodbye dinner with your friends or roommates! Try a new restaurant near campus, or go to a local favorite. 

12. Pay attention in class. Appreciate your professors and all their wisdom — they might stress you out, but they are most likely actually pretty great.

13. Let go of old baggage. If there is anyone at school that you are not on good terms with, turn that around. If you can’t make amends, at least let go emotionally. Don’t let one person get in the way of YOUR college experience.

14. If you have to study, study with friends. Don’t isolate. 

15. Give yourself motivating pep talks. LIFE IS GREAT, AND YOU CAN DO THIS, BEAUTIFUL.