10 Things You Absolutely Shouldn’t Be For Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. Please be considerate of the fact that some of us may not love costumes that revolve around our bodily functions…

…like periods and giving birth straight from our stomachs.

I won’t deny it — this is a pretty clever costume. It just…it just makes me uncomfortable?

2. Some of us are weirded out (or just confused) when you show up to the party dressed like a cross between a children’s movie character and a playboy bunny.

3. You may find a few of us cringing if you chose to dress up like a “stripper nun”…

…or if you play into the Jewish sterotype by portraying the friendly, neighborhood rabbi as a man with a beard so big, it could quite possibly swallow an entire Jewish village whole. 

4. Sometimes Halloween costumes run a fine line between funny and offensive. Keep that in mind if you’re considering playing the role of a mouse that’s gone blind.

5. But also, some Halloween costumes are down right rude. Please, please, don’t purposefully apply a black face for halloween. A skin color is not a fashion statement.

6. And not that I thought you would, but wearing a costume that will completely offend anyone on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum is probably something you’d do best to avoid.

7. If you’re looking to make new friends at a Halloween party, maybe don’t wear this:

8. or this:

9. And this one we could probably do without:

Just because your mom isn’t trick-or-treating with you anymore, you think that it’s okay to be rude on Halloween?

WHY? 

Why do you think this is an okay thing to do?!

10. Also, I don’t know if you’ve heard, but there are killer clowns literally running around the United States so please, just this one Halloween, don’t be a scary clown. 

Amen.

Pyper Hayden is a freshman at Chapman University. She is a Creative Writing major from San Carlos, California. In her free time, she enjoys eating “good”* food, making people laugh, and performing. Pyper has been writing since high school, finding specific passions in genres including: horror, romance, and playwriting. She aspires to one day have her script(s) produced by a high-end theatre company. *“Good food” = pasta (she’s picky!)