10 Things Out-of-State Students Will Understand, Told by The Office

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. Some people don’t understand why you would want to go out of state for college.  

You always get the classic, “Wow, I would NEVER do that.”

2. You need to learn all the new lingo people back home never used.  

3. Not only does your vernacular widen, but so does your taste palette.  

You’re not complaining about having a double double for the first time at 1 a.m.

4. You get so excited when you meet someone from your home state.

The bond was formed and it will never be broken.  

5. You don’t understand why people who live 30 minutes away from campus complain about being homesick.

6. Getting used to the new climate takes a few weeks.  

You don’t know what it’s like to wear shorts for more than two months out the year, but whatever. It’s fine — everyone does a little adjusting.  

7. When visiting home and seeing all your high school friends, they comment on how you “talk differently” or how you’ve changed since you left for college.  

8. People are always interested in where you’re from and what to know about home.  

When so many people are from the surrounding areas of your campus, it’s only natural that people always want to know what it was like to grow up where you did.  

9. Even though you get sad sometimes and question your decision to go so far away for college, you know you made the right choice. 

10. You were nervous about finding people that you could relate to, but you’ve found friends who accept you for who you are — regardless of where you’re from!