10 Things To Do When Your Family Visits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

It’s been weeks (maybe months) since you last saw your family and you’re ready to let go of your friends and homework for the weekend and spend it with the people you grew up with the first 18 years of your life. But once you get past the catching up and hugs, what do you do? Here’s 10 activities for when your family comes to Chapman:

1. Pizza Press, Blaze and Bruxie are all staples in the average Chapman student’s diet, and are always fun to take your family to. But In-N-Out Burger (and Denny’s, depending on where you live) are both especially exciting when you’re from out of state.

2. Whether your family visits in May or December, the beach is open all year long! Newport and Huntington beaches are both less than forty minutes away.

3. The circle is a great way to show your parents that you actually can get around by yourself without getting lost (most of the time). Plus there’s antique shops, a comic book store and restaurants.

4. Show some school spirit by going to either a Chapman sports game or performance.

5. If your family is the outdoorsy type, go out for a hike! Chino Hills State Park is 25 minutes away and offers over 60 miles of both hiking and horseback trails.

6. Sneakily convince your family to take you to Target so that you can stock up on food for your dorm. Your roommates will thank you.

7. After you trick them into buying obscene amounts of food, introduce your family to your new friends! Instead of just shaking hands and creating an awkward situation, plan something for you all to do: playing cards, going out to lunch or just walking around campus together.

8. The Santa Ana Zoo is just 12 minutes from Chapman and hosts over 120 species!

9. LA is the furthest option, but is still less than an hour away. Visit the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the iconic Hollywood sign and Universal Studios Hollywood!

10. And finally: the most obvious thing to do when your family comes to visit: Disneyland and California Adventure. Even though it’s expensive, it is the happiest place on Earth!