10 Short Stories You Can Commit To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

We’ve all done it: voiced our desires to read a book but become too preoccupied with our classes, our social lives, and our Netflix series that we forget to stretch our minds.

After all, books are usually long and require a lot of commitment, which college students tend to lack.

But alas there is a cure for those who crave more knowledge or a night snuggled up with a book: the short story.

Short stories can satiate your hunger for reading while understanding the fact that you’re not going to dedicate a whole month to it.

In other words, the short story is the perfect solution for the all-too-common commitment phobic college kid.

There are so many benefits from pleasure reading that the majority of students are missing out on simply because they figure they don’t have the time. Reading increases your vocabulary, stretches your mind, and can also be very relaxing.

So take 10 minutes from your day to sit down on your bed, prop up your feet, and transport yourself into the magical world of books.

Here are some great examples to start with:

1. A Clean, Well-Lighted Place by Ernest Hemingway

2. Happy Endings by Margaret Atwood

3. How to Become a Writer by Lorrie Moore

4. The Last Night of the World by Ray Bradbury

5. A Perfect Day for Bananafish by JD Salinger

6. Orientation by Daniel Orozco

7. The Ass and the Load of Salt by Aesop

8. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling

9. The Looking Glass by Anton Chekhov

10. Federigo’s Falcon by Giovanni Boccaccio