Your Period in GIFs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Remember your first period? The first time always feels like a rite of passage, doesn’t it? It arrives like a scarlet initiation into adulthood. According to the most bare bones biology, you are a woman now and no one can tell you any different.

Yet that pubescent awkwardness still seems to haunt us…

Eventually, your menarche become less of a symbol of burgeoning womanhood and more of a pain. But at least we can suffer as a unit, right? I know what you’re thinking…

Solidarity is not necessarily solace, especially when your uterus is throwing a bitch fit.

Your ovaries feel like they’re imploding.

Your body balloons to whale-like proportions.

And suddenly, your idea of what you’re going to look like that week goes from this:

To this:

In all fairness, you were probably going to put on sweatpants anyway, but Nature has spoken and you no longer even have a choice in the matter. Skirts and sundresses? Forget about it. Not when you’re wearing granny panties.

Is it just me or does our tolerance for stupidity also dramatically decrease?

Men can be particularly gross offenders, asking inane questions such as “Are you on your period?” and “Are you OK?”

In those days where you find yourself in biological purgatory, just know: Chocolate is always there for you.

Another pick-me-up about periods is at least you know that’s another month where your womb is baby-free! We’ve all had that moment where Mother Nature arrives fashionably late. Not fun.

So, if you’re stuck on your period, just remember to be thankful.

Even when she arrives in crimson waves of Exodus proportions.

Hang in there, ladies.

Jaleesa Jones

Chapel Hill

Jaleesa Jones is a senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is a communication studies major with double minors in journalism and screenwriting. She is president and co-campus correspondent of the UNC chapter of Her Campus, a Collegiate Correspondent for USA TODAY and a member of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, Carolina Association of Black Journalists, National Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Hispanic Journalists. Jaleesa loves covering lifestyle, race, feminism and the arts. In her spare time, she enjoys confusing her roommate with alternating sessions of Juicy J and Taylor Swift, imagining her Ramen was pasta, and binge-watching movies - because TV series are so '90s. 
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.