Your How To Guide for Packing Light on a Weekend Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Out of all the things I have learned while being abroad, one of the most useful tips is how to pack light.

You see, when you are in Europe, you have the world at your fingertips. Naturally you try and go everywhere you can, and most times it is just for a weekend. I have now done four weekend trips to four different countries, with only a packed backpack. There is a reason for that.

Most of the time when you go to these foreign countries you stay in a hostel. A hostel is essentially a big dormitory with tons of bunk beds for all types of travelers. It is a cheap way to travel so lots of students do it. Now generally I am a trusting person, but I am not going to leave my things lying around in a place packed with strangers who are constantly coming and going from the place I am staying. Therefore, I had to figure out how to pack as little as possible so I could carry it with me as I toured the city.

With Airbnb it is a lot safer to leave your stuff at your host’s place; however, on the day of check out you may have to leave by 11 a.m. and then not have a flight until 9:30 p.m. that night. What are you going to do with all your stuff? Well, you are going to have to take it with you.

In college, aside from breaks, we only have weekends to travel. A lot of times we want to visit our friends at other schools or make a quick trip to the beach or mountains. If you are trying to keep your packing to a minimum here are a few tips:

1. Take only the clothes you need.

Moms across the country have been telling us this for how long…? (Especially us girls.) I am so guilty of overpacking. But I mean I’ve got to have plenty of options, right?

Traveling by backpack has taught me less is more. Well, I take that back. It has forced me to accept less is more. When you only have room for one clothing option you become very conscious of your choices.

You are only going to be gone for two days: take one pair of pants you can match with two different shirts. It will be fine. I promise.

2. Take clothes that are versatile.

When choosing which clothes to pack, take ones that can been worn with multiple different things or serve more than one purpose. When I stayed in Scotland I wore a pair of leggings under my jeans that I also slept in. Another example may be packing a long sleeve t-shirt to sleep in that you can also wear the next day.

Most times on these weekend trips traveling conditions aren’t going to be very luxurious. In some hostels there isn’t a great place to change so it’s better to just not have to, especially when you get in late and don’t want to wake people.

It’s only for two days. You’re going to have to rough it.

3. Don’t load yourself down with toiletries.

Again, take what you need. You are not going to need nail polish, clippers, three different shades of lipstick and mouthwash for a two day trip. Take soap, shampoo/conditioner and your toothbrush. I even found taking make-up wipes were easier to carry than face wash, but most of the time I took both just in case.

In terms of makeup, I only took only the bare minimum: foundation and mascara. You’ll be fine without all the glitz and glam for a day or two.

4. Do you really need your laptop?

Just think about it. You should be having fun experiencing the place you are traveling to, not staring at a screen. I always take a book instead. It doesn’t require wifi and it is nice to have for the car ride, bus ride, plane ride, or whatever.

I know on these quick trips convenience isn’t always in great supply. But it isn’t about what you look like or the fact you wore the same outfit two days in a row. It is about the fact you have the opportunity to see and experience a place you have never been before.

There is something freeing about living minimally for a short time, even if it is a few days. It definitely makes things easier not having to worry about what you are going to wear. Instead you can focus more on what you are going to do. Don’t worry about it too much and just have fun!

Elizabeth Hennigan is a journalism major with a minor in entreprenuership at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. As well as being a full time student, she works for her school newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, and is a Social Media Executive for She's the First: Chapel Hill. Stay tuned for the launch of her personal lifestyle blog coming in a few months and follow her on instagram @ehennigan17.