Your Favorite Fall Trends as Springtime Statements

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I know every UNC gal will agree with me on this one– spring has been a long time coming and it feels so good to finally see the sun. Now you can dig up your flip flops, tank tops and high-waisted shorts that have been in storage since summer. But that doesn’t mean you should put away those cute fall and winter pieces just yet! Here are some ways to transform the best fall trends into great statements for spring:

1. Booties (without the fur of course)It is always a sad moment when you trade your fall boots in for spring sandals. Most girls think, “okay it’s spring now and spring means open-toed shoes,” but that’s not always the case. Wearing a great pair of ankle boots with a flowy skirt or dress can make a fashion-forward statement and create an edgy but girly look! Lately, more stores are stocking their shelves with booties featuring leather, cutouts, buckles and more. Looking for some inexpensive choices? Try here, here and here.

2. FlannelI can’t name one girl who doesn’t have some attachment to her favorite flannel shirt. Stylish, comfy and a fun piece for many occasions, flannels are one of the best fall staples. The problem is, many of us ladies associate flannels with cooler weather so when the warm air hits, we pack up our flannels along with our chunky knit scarves. Not this year! The great thing about spring is that it is never full-on hot or cold because it’s one of those transitional seasons. On the days you might need an extra layer over your shoulders, try using a flannel as light jacket. Feeling edgy and Miley-inspired? Tie your fav flannel over your jean cutoffs for an ultra cool look.

3. Leather From leather pants to leather minis, I think it’s safe to say leather has become a statement of its own. To create a fun, chic look for spring top off a pretty floral dress with that worn out leather jacket you used through the winter months. This mix of grunge and girly is totally on trend and perfect for one of those windy days! Want to incorporate leather into more spring looks? Try a envelope skirt or a cute vest!

What are some other fall pieces that you’ll keep wearing this spring? Comment below!

Hannah Packer

Chapel Hill

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.