Your Anti-Valentine’s Day Horror Movie Roundup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

For those of us spending National Single Awareness Day alone… what better way to keep your mind off certain topics than terrifying yourself as much as possible? I can’t think of anything either! So just for you singletons, I have compiled a list of the best horror films to keep you and your girlfriends occupied. All your single friends need something to do too, right? Invite everyone over for one of these menacing flicks, and if the day still has you down just remember all that Valentine’s candy goes on sale the next day!

The Classic:

Carrie (1976)

If the thought of bucket full of pig’s blood being poured over your head doesn’t send the hair on the back of your neck standing straight up then perhaps your Valentine’s day might be better spent working through some other personal issues. However, for the rest of us this horror classic is always a movie night success.

The New Release:

MAMA

If you would rather venture out of the house for your Valentine’s Day fright fest, then the newest horror flick on the scene, MAMA, might be the right choice for you. There’s definitely something supernatural that isn’t happy when two young girls who have been left alone in the forest for 5 years are discovered and sent to live with their uncle. This is definitely one to keep you on the edge of your seat!

The Sci-Fi Scare:

Alien Film Franchise

While I have to admit I am not the Sci-Fi movie buff, there is clearly something special when a movie can create its own franchise and that is exactly what the Alien movies have done. From the first movie in the collection, Alien, all the way to the most recent release of Prometheus, there is definitely a movie in there somewhere for those seeking an extraterrestrial scare!

The Slasher Flick:

Scream

This is another obvious classic in the horror movie genre considering the stream of sequels that followed. This is the serial killer movie on steroids and he doesn’t even have a face, or at least one that isn’t a mask. He’s everywhere and he knows your secrets. This is the movies bringing to life “you can run but you cannot hide.”

The Realistic Chiller:

When a Stranger Calls

This is the movie that made you terrified all throughout your teenage years every time you had to babysit for that family with the gorgeously creepy house set back off the road where nobody would hear your screams. Bringing this one out for your V-Day viewing party might bring back some post traumatic flashbacks, but at least you won’t be thinking about all those people on romantic dates, right?! …Right?

The Spoof:

Scary Movie

Okay some people just can’t get on board with the whole horror movie line-up, but that’s okay a good spoof scary movie mixes just the right amount of scare with the right amount of comedy. If you’re going to go this route you’ve got to go with the classic, Scary Movie. It started the fad and it’s totally worth bringing it out for this “special occasion.”

Images:
http://downloadfreemovies.org/wp-content/uploads/1976/11/Carrie-1976.jpg    http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYzMTI3NjQzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTkzMzMyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg http://www.mamamovie.com/assets/images/_downloads/ipad/02_mama_ipad.jpg

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!