From Yoga Pants to Pencil Skirts: Dressing Like You Know What You’re Doing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Congrats! You’ve just scored an awesome spring internship or a new job and as you go into the holiday season, you may start to think about asking for some new professional clothes or splurging on some yourself. Why? Because dressing nice and presentably for a new job is crucial and vital to your success there. Yes, it’s also important that you’re organized, energetic, and competent, but you also need to look like you know what you’re doing. Dressing well not only makes you look like you’re prepared and put-together but it makes you feel confident and ready to take on the world. So, here are a few items you should put on your wish-list to get yourself ready and feel confident about that great new opportunity:

1.      A well-fitted pencil skirt: Not only does a pencil skirt go with blouses, cute tops, blazers, tights, and anything else you could think of but it’s also a great piece of clothing that makes you feel feminine and powerful. Just make sure it’s not too tight or too short so you keep it work-appropriate.

You could pick a classic black skirt that goes with everything and always looks great:

A patterned skirt can also be a good option for something a little more fun and different:

And lastly, a colorful skirt can also be bright and noticeable yet still classy in the work place:

2.   An awesome blazer: This piece is professional looking but also something you could wear on casual Friday with jeans or you can make it nicer with pants or a skirt. Like with the pencil skirt, you can do classic, patterned, or colorful. Either way, it always is a great pick to tie an outfit together.

3.   Comfortable yet cute shoes: Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, the workplace isn’t the time to wear our favorite stilettos. You’ll probably want a pair of both professional heels and flats so you have options for all occasions. Neutral black and nude are great because they go with all of your clothes but more fun and colorful options can be a good staple to your style too.

4.   Plain blouses, cardigans, and Oxford shirts: With fun skirts, blazers, and shoes, you will need some classic pieces that go with everything and can be used for multi-purposes. Grabbing a few of these will help you save some money because you can mix and match with them. A black and white sweater or cardigan is a must-have, especially when you have short sleeve dresses or tops. Blouses are also a great classy and multifunctional option as the can be tucked into pants or skirts.

5.   And finally, a great dress: There are a lot of dress options to choose from when considering work outfits. There are simple and classy short-sleeve ones, colorful ones, striped ones, ones that can be belted, etc. What’s important is finding one you feel comfortable and confident in and flatters your body.

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.