#WinterWonderland: A Gift Guide for when You Suck at Gift Giving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

With Christmas and other gift-giving holidays around the corner, I’m pretty sure many of us are feeling the pressure to buy the perfect gift for our loved ones. This proves to be a difficult task when you never know what anyone wants. It’s like we all draw a collective blank when asked what type of gift we want to unwrap. I’ve almost completely given up on asking people what they want for the holidays. Sure, I’ll ask my brother or my mom what they would like, just to see if they’ll say anything, but most of the time, I try to figure out one or two things to get them based on these four categories.

Wants

“Wants” are the first category. These could be things that someone has mentioned they wouldn’t mind having, or it could fit into a trend that they like. Accessories like jewelry, scarves or new tech (Apple Watch or AirPods, anyone?) are all contenders! Items that are more of a novelty than a necessity would be considered a “Want” gift.

This specific category of gifts is pretty broad, so you can never go wrong using this tactic. However, in order to choose the perfect gift, you have to look closely at the aesthetic a person gives off (you know, in a not-creepy way). Nothing is more upsetting than getting what you think is the perfect gift and having your loved one eye the gift with half-hearted interest.

Needs

“Needs,” while it sounds boring, is a category that takes into consideration the necessities someone should have in their lives. From socks to new apparel to tool kits, “Need” gifts are a great way to show that you care about the person and his or her day-to-day life. These gifts don’t need to be overtly mundane, like socks (though there are some awesome designs out there); they can add a little more flair or personality to things people use on a daily basis and are considering replacing. Custom water bottles or a new jacket are perfect examples of a “Need” gift!

Functional

“Functional” gifts are very similar to “Need” gifts, but they are more so given to compliment someone’s current lifestyle. Let’s say someone in your life recently got his or her driver’s license! A great “Functional” gift would be car accessories or a “New Driver” survival kit! These are my favorite gifts because, while you may have everything you need, “Functional” gifts usually help make something in your life easier!

Sentimental

Holidays are all about quality time with your loved ones, so we oftentimes feel more tender than usual — or, at least, I do. “Sentimental” gifts heighten that tenderness, since a lot of thought and meaning is put into the gift you give. Such gifts can be store-bought, homemade or a combination of the two. Heck, they don’t even need to be tangible all of the time. The only thing that matters with a “Sentimental” gift is that the receiver keeps it as a special reminder of the relationship he or she has with the gift giver.

Hopefully, breaking down gift ideas into these categories helps to relieve some of the pressure you’re feeling, this holiday season. If this doesn’t help you narrow down a gift, getting them a gift card never fails!

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.