This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

These essential winter superfruits will boost your immune system and ensure that you spend this winter sickness free. All of these fruits are high in vitamin C, which is essential for warding off colds and flu viruses. They can be eaten in a variety of ways and more importantly, are readily available at a supermarket near you!

1. Star Fruits

These tropical fruits are loaded with vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. They also contain anti-inflammatory polyphenols, which are good for your heart. At the market, try to find star fruits that are firm, shiny and rich yellow in color. Be careful when handling them as they bruise easily. They have a citrusy taste that can be described as a cross between an apple, pear, and orange. You can put them in a salad or eat them as fruit slices!

2. Asian Pears

Asian pears are a delicious choice for winter as they contain more fiber than your average pear, which can contribute to heart health and ward off diabetes. They can be found in your local Asian supermarket. When selecting Asian pears, try to pick the ones that give off a sweet pear scent since it is an indication that they pear is ripe and juicy. Eat as a delicious snack during the day or chop and mix in fruit salads.

3. Cranberries

Coming from the Thanksgiving table, cranberries are a delicious superfruit loaded with vitamin C. Essential for warding off colds, they possess anti-inflammatory properties that may even lower HDL (high density cholesterol), the bad cholesterol. Even better, cranberries can be made into a wide variety of dishes including cranberry pie, pancake, sangria, and even salsa. Look for these in your local supermarket and munch away!

Eating right this winter is key to staying healthy! Look for foods that are packed in vitamin C and contain anti-inflammatory polyphenols as they will ensure that you stay strong and healthy. Also, remember to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and get plenty of exercise outdoors!