This Winter’s Top Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It can be quite easy to find yourself in a fashion rut during the cold winter months but don’t allow the weather to negatively influence your fashion choices. This time of the year gives you the perfect opportunity to experiment with your warm winter pieces while still incorporating some fun and trendy elements. The trick is taking your winter staples and combining them with other items and accessories to create exciting new looks that can be worn repeatedly. The following six pieces are winter wardrobe essentials that can be worn together to beat the weather and keep you looking fashionable at the same time.

Leather Jacket
Add some edge to your winter clothing collection with a leather jacket. There’s nothing new about leather, but it’s a classic piece that can easily be incorporated into your personal style. The versatility and chicness of a leather jacket are two of its biggest assets; whether you choose to wear them with dresses or jeans or leggings, the look will be stylish and make a bold statement in subtle and simple way.

Oversized Sweater
No winter wardrobe is complete without a good sweater; you can stay warm but still manage to look trendy. Sweaters present your closet with an endless array of options for stylish, everyday outfits. Feel free to take casual, low-maintenance approach or dress things up for a more dominant look. As long as your sweaters are comfortable, functional, and simple to wear, you’re guaranteed to look fashionably understated.

Leggings
What girl could lives without her leggings? A perennial favorite, leggings are a necessary and perfect addition to your winter closet. They are a style basic that conveniently keeps your legs warm but also look great with a variety of outfits. No matter how you choose to incorporate leggings into your winter ensemble, they’re an inexpensive way to make your outfit weather friendly and trendy at the same time.

Dressy Boots
One of the first things a girl pulls out of her closet for the winter is her boots. Luckily, boots come in a wide range of styles and colors, which makes life so much easier when trying to find a pair that will work with your wardrobe. Boots are perfect for day and night. They can be worn casually or with a dressed up outfit so you have a slew of opportunities to wear them. When paired with your favorite winter style pieces, boots give you an updated look that’s incredibly chic and comfortable.

Scarves
The accessory of the season is a simple but beautiful scarf. It’s a classic piece that never fails to add some spice to your outfit. Especially during the winter, scarves can add some much needed color into your wardrobe and act as a statement piece for a conservative or simple outfit. You can find a great scarf in a variety of colors, fabrics and patterns so you never have trouble finding one that you love.

Crossbody Bags
These little wonders are the perfect combination of style and function. Lose the extra weight from your typical large tote and opt to carry these comfortable, light-weight bags instead. They are stylish and convenient for those times when you prefer to be hands-free. This accessory is the perfect complement to any style of outfit.

Check out these looks from Polyvore for inspiration!

Sources:
Urban Outfitters “Sparkle & Fade” Moto Faux Leather Jacket, $129; urbanoutfitters.com
Free People “Easy Days” Off the Shoulder Sweater, $98; freepeople.com
Forever 21 “Essential” Knit Legging, $5.50; forever21.com
Steve Madden “Candence” Boot, $99.95; stevemadden.com
Anthropologie “Glass Garden” Scarf, $58; anthropologie.com
MARC BY MARC JACOBS “Petal to the Metal” Flap Pouchette, $248; nordstrom.com
Outfit photos: Polyvore.com