This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

The other day, one of my family members posted something on her Instagram story that read, “Can we stop posting political stuff on social media? FYI…No one cares about your opinion and you’re not changing anyone’s political views.” This was no doubt directed at my mom and me, as I am certain that this family member does not mind when people post political views that reflect her own. I haven’t been able to shake the annoyance I felt at this. So, I thought I’d share why it is I post “political stuff” on my social media.

First of all, if you think racism, sexism, homophobia — or any kind of prejudice in general — is “political,” you are already the kind of person I don’t wish to associate with. I post about things that affect people’s real lives. I also post the hard facts — yes, facts — about the hateful man she chooses to support. My suspicion is that she is so defensive because she sees her own harmful and hateful views reflected back at her. The problem is clearly with her, not me. But I still feel the need to address this issue in case other people don’t understand why it’s so important to spread awareness in any way possible.

Responding to the first part of my relative’s lovely message, people actually do care about my opinions. Do you know why? Because my opinion reflects an ideology of inclusivity, kindness and awareness. People care about that. Maybe she doesn’t want to accept that people care because then she’s actually responsible for the hatred she perpetuates by continuing to support Donald Trump.

To address the second part of this message, my aim is not to change anyone’s political views. As I’ve already established, people’s lives are not politics. However, the government treats minority lives as such, so I understand how she became confused. Anyways, I’m not trying to change people’s “political views.” I am trying to educate people who may not understand why certain issues are so important. People are often blinded by their privilege. What I’m trying to do is make these people aware of issues beyond their own front yard. The way I see it, if a person sees the facts of injustice, their hearts will tell them how to react. Empathetic people do not need convincing.

It’s been really difficult to see the people I love supporting this man. I’m not perfect when it comes to dealing with that, and I acknowledge that the choice to deal with it is a product of my privilege. But this post in particular really got under my skin, mostly because she so clearly let me know that I get under her skin. Why not just mind her own business and not look at my posts? Why say “no one cares” when it’s “politics” about people’s lives? I stand by the things that I post because I know that they mean something to somebody, and that’s enough for me.

Karleigh Wallace

Chapel Hill '22

Karleigh Wallace is an aspiring writer who is a senior at UNC majoring in English and minoring in history and creative writing.