This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.

If you’ve been living under a rock, Bridgerton is an all-new Netflix series that garnered views in more than 82 million households in its first 28 days — me being some of those. Now, what is this binge-worthy, popular show that everyone seems to be obsessed about? 

The show is adapted from Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton series of historical romance novels and features Daphne Bridgerton, the eldest daughter of the eight charming and wealthy Bridgerton siblings. Bridgerton is a hate-to-love story at its finest, as, inevitably, Daphne falls for Simon Bassett, the powerful Duke of Hastings. While the storyline is typical for chick flicks, who can resist the charming smirk of his Grace the Duke of Hastings? Not me!

Overall, the series tells that story with sparkling momentum, pausing at all the moments when one character or another wrestles with unexpected feelings.

The best part of it all? Lady Whistledown! She is the pseudonymous and mysteriously well-informed author of the gossip column that regularly apprises the characters of everyone’s scandalous comings and goings. This Gossip Girl like theme creates an intriguing vibe in the storyline and is something fun to anticipate as the series progresses. But if you’re a cliffhanger-hater, don’t worry! Lady Whistledown’s identity is revealed by the end of the season, so the producers don’t keep you waiting by a thread and needle. 

So why do I love this show so much and seem to be caught in the glitz and glam of the 19th century? Well, for one, the actors! Phoebe Dynevor and Regé-Jean Page play perfect elegant lovers. Although they have different acting styles, they bounced off each other in that respect with sizzling on-screen chemistry. They did an amazing job of making these characters come to life!

Another aspect of this show I love is the characters and drama that comes with it. Although the main stars of the show are Daphne and Simon, we still get a glimpse into the other siblings’ and characters’ lives, which adds drama, secrets, lies and gossip. I won’t talk too much about this, you will just have to see for yourself.

Lastly, one of my favorite parts of this show is the decor and fashionable choices. That 19th-century lifestyle is something everyone romanticizes nowadays. When I first noticed Daphne’s jaw-dropping debutante gown in the first episode, I was astonished. With a gold embroidered train and puffed cap sleeves, it’s no wonder Queen Charlotte called her “flawless.” The show’s overall wardrobe doesn’t mimic the exact clothing and style choices of 1813 Regency London. Instead, costume designer Ellen Mirojnick referenced color palettes, fabrications and silhouettes from the 1950s and 1960s, which brought a slightly modern feel to the era.

Overall, this show is one of the best I have ever watched, and in case you’re wondering, yes they did approve a second season. So I will be back soon with another article about Bridgerton when the time comes.

Gabby is a sophomore at UNC-Chapel Hill, studying advertising and public relations.