When and Where to Visit in Europe this Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

So you’ve just gotten into your study abroad program and can’t wait to see the world – but where should you go? And when would be the best time? These are questions that ran through my mind as I started planning my travel for this fall semester, and while I didn’t necessarily mean to plan my travels to coincide with elections in Barcelona or a Beatles Festival in Dublin, I’m glad these worked out the way they did (unlike Oktoberfest, which I should have planned way before going abroad). So check out this list of some noteworthy events happening in Europe this spring:

November 13-January 31: London, England for Hogwarts in the Snow

For all you Potter fans out there, you may want to make a trip to London before the 31st to tour the Warner Bros. Studio as it’s decked out in snow and holiday decorations. Prices are the same as regular season prices, so why not?

January 26: Lerwick, Scotland for Up Helly Aa, “Europe’s largest fire festival”

This festival is a tradition that began in the 1880’s and has been an annual tradition ever since. It marks the end of the Yule season and consists of a world famous procession lit by over 1,000 torches.

January 23-February 9: Venice, Italy for Carnival

Dig out an old costume or buy one of the famed Venetian masks. Everyone will be decked-out in costumes for this 10-day, pre-Lenten Venetian celebration, whether they are costumes inspired by the Italian Renaissance, or costumes of dinosaurs, witches or anything else.

February 4-10: Cologne, Germany for the Cologne Carnival, Germany’s Mardi Gras

This event technically begins on the 11th of November; however, the street carnival begins on Fat Thursday and ends on Ash Wednesday. Rose Monday is the biggest day of the carnival and holds a grand parade, which dates back to 1823.

February 8: London, England for the largest Chinese New Year celebration outside

of Asia

Celebrate the Year of the Monkey with hundreds of thousands of others with festivities in Trafalgar Square, Chinatown and Shaftesbury Avenue.

February 19-March 19: Munich, Germany for Starkbierzeit, or Strong Beer Festival

If you’re bummed about missing Oktoberfest, then you might want to visit this smaller beer celebration in Bavaria. This festival, full of strong beer, is even older than Oktoberfest and is a celebration of all things Bavarian, including wood-chopping competitions and a stone-lifting contest. And if you’re worried about the sound of a “strong beer,” don’t fear, as the strength doesn’t necessarily refer to its alcohol content, but rather a sweeter taste.

March 15-19: Valencia, Spain for Las Fallas

During this traditional Valencian celebration, people work to erect fallas: large sculptures, that are paraded around the streets. The public votes for their favorite and the winner is saved, but on the last day of the festival the rest are burned. While in Valencia, you’ll also want to try paella, as the famous Spanish dish originated from there.

March 14-17: Dublin, Ireland for Saint Patrick’s Day Festival

Yes, that’s right: March 14-17. In Dublin, St. Patrick’s Day isn’t just one day, it’s a multi-day event, and, just like Oktoberfest, is an event that tons of people will want to go to. For this reason you’ll want to book your flight and accommodations as soon as possible. For Saint Patrick’s Day itself, the parade usually starts around 10 a.m. To get a good spot, try to get there no later than 9 a.m. as it will be packed.

March 20-27: Seville, Spain for Semana Santa (Holy Week)

While I may be a little biased, as I’m studying abroad in Seville, the Holy Week (or Semana Santa) celebrations are something you won’t want to miss this spring. Semana Santa is the biggest holiday in Spain, and Seville’s considered to have the best celebrations in all of Spain. So take a break from the cold and head south to Andalusia to see the elaborate parades and celebrations for which the sevillanos spend months preparing. Be sure to plan this visit ahead of time too, as Spaniards from all over the country, as well as other visitors, flock to Seville for this weeklong celebration.

March 27: London, England for the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race

Head to London to see one of the world’s oldest sporting events. Join up to 250,000 others for this free event on the banks of the Thames between Mortlake and Putney.

April 4-9: Mayrhofen, Austria – Snowbombing Festival

If you love music and snow sports, then you may want to visit Mayrhofen, an Austrian ski resort, for this week-long festival.

April  12-17: Sevilla, Spain for La Feria de Abril

Don that flamenco dress you’ve always wanted to try on (you can rent a dress or buy one for 100-200 euros) and enjoy this week full of dancing, drinking, eating and socializing. If you want to see a bullfight, there are fights daily, which are considered the best of the season. Like Semana Santa, La Feria de Abril in Sevilla is another huge event, so you will want to book early.

April 27: Amsterdam, Netherlands for Koningsdag, King’s Day (aka Orange Festival)

Bring your orange clothes and head over to Amsterdam to celebrate with the locals. Take part in a citywide street sale (one of the world’s largest flea markets) or one of the many parties (on land or in a boat!).

May 11-22: Cannes, France for Cannes Film Festival

This annual film festival, considered the most prestigious in the world, is the perfect event for any of you movie buffs. So, head over to this city just southwest of Nice for interesting movies and beach relaxation. Note that many screenings are closed to the general public, but there are many opportunities for the public to see free screenings or to buy cheap tickets for other screenings.

June 11: London England for Trooping the Colour

Take part in this celebration of The Queen’s official birthday with this military parade that dates back to 1820. The event is free for the public, who are advised to stand on the Mall or on the edge of St. James’s Park, overlooking Horse Guards Parade starting at 9 a.m. There is also a seated section for 30 pounds (applications for these seats should be completed in January or February).

These are just some of the many events happening all over Europe this spring. While these are some of the most well-known events, there are many more that can be found by looking specifically at tourism websites for each city. And while spring may seem far away, you may want to start planning if you want to go to any of these events, especially some of the more popular ones.

Happy planning and happy travels!

What festivals or events do you plan to attend in the spring? Or what are some of your favorites that you’ve already been to? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below!

Mikala is majoring in Journalism (Public Relations Specialization) and Global Studies and is minoring in Hispanic Studies. Her learning experiences both from PR courses and from outside PR experiences have led to Mikala's aspiration to become a PR practitioner. She hopes to continue learning more about PR through her current experiences and through future internships. 
Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.