Celina Timmerman-Girl Smiling
Celina Timmerman-Girl Smiling
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Wellness

What Ten Years As An Athlete Taught Me About Loving My Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I started tennis when I was six, entered my first tournament at age nine, and still play competitively to this day. Being an athlete has taught me a lot of life lessons, and one of the most important has been how to truly love and take care of my body. 

I’ve always been tall, broad-shouldered, and big-boned. In elementary school class photos, I was consistently in the back row because even though I was young for my grade, I was always one of the tallest kids. Growing up as an athlete helped me realize that my height and build weren’t things to be embarrassed of or upset about, but rather things to celebrate. Tennis is a physically demanding sport that simultaneously requires strength, speed, agility, and flexibility. I was built perfectly for it, and that gave me the self-confidence and healthy body image that I needed throughout middle school. 

In high school, I sometimes struggled with feeling self-conscious about my body. I was envious of cheerleaders’ petite frames and wished that I, too, could look effortlessly fairy-like and dainty. However, starting on my high school’s tennis team reminded me to love my body for all that it was and could do instead of worrying about what it wasn’t. My body was beautiful and powerful and I didn’t need to feel pressure to look like anything but my natural self. My senior year, I was featured on the fall sports posters all over the school. I was mid-stroke and determined, with my ponytail flying out behind me, as I hammered a backhand. That image filled me with pride and confidence. I was not a figurine or a doll, I was an athlete, and my body deserved so much appreciation for all it did. 

Today, when I grow out of a pair of shorts or worry about a picture taken at an unflattering angle, I take a mental step back and remind myself of how much my body has done for me, and how much it continues to do everyday. Instead of exercising to try to lose weight or slim down, I exercise to strengthen my body and celebrate the joy and freedom of movement. Self-love is a lifelong journey, but I’ve learned that focusing on taking care of my body and appreciating its natural, healthy form is the absolute best thing I can do for my health and my happiness. 

Ruta Petrikis

Chapel Hill '24

Ruta Petrikis is a first-year at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill studying chemistry and Spanish.