This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Have a few days off and don’t know how to spend them? Look no further! Check out this quick list of the best things to do on your day off. 

Get Some Sleep

A day off is a great time to catch up on rest and relaxation, so take this time to catch some Zzzs. Recharge your body and brain with a quick nap during the day or simply sleep in. You can also use this opportunity to reset your circadian rhythm (AKA your internal clock). Have you been pulling a lot of all-nighters studying for that midterm? Force yourself to reset and get your mind and body back on a more sustainable schedule. 

Take the Time To Cook a Meal

We often overlook home-cooked meals during the week due to their time commitments. We may search for quick microwave meals or order in. A day off is the perfect time to practice self-care by forcing yourself to make something. It can be a new recipe or something you have on standby. Either way, it will help you to feel a sense of accomplishment when you feel you need a break from studying.

Pick a Show or Movie To Try

If you’re caught up on work, it might be time to check out a new TV series or movie. I know you love the office, but sometimes those extra couple dollars a month for Peacock just aren’t worth it. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime or Disney plus — there’s bound to be something you haven’t seen. As long as you can still finish everything you need to get done, there’s no harm in looking for a new form of entertainment.

Explore New Music

Maybe you haven’t finished your work, or you just need some vibes. Two words: new music. Great for studying; great for chilling; great for anything and everything. Use new music to brighten a workout, an errand or a particularly difficult reading for class. It can help you focus, or it can help you unwind. Either way, music is a great mood booster and definitely helps you to keep a positive outlook on an upcoming stressful week.

Try Something New 

Got nothing to do? Try something new! Hike, bike, read a book or try crochet! New activities can be as large or small of an adventure as you want (or need). The best way to find something to try is to look online for inspiration. Maybe you want a new hoodie, so why not try your hand at embroidery? No matter how complicated the task, trying something new is exciting, fulfilling and can help you fill empty space on a free day.

Do a Quick Workout

Just because you have the day off doesn’t mean you have to lounge around. It may be beneficial to your mental and physical health to do a quick workout. Breaking a sweat is a fantastic way to clear anxiety from your head or simply move your body. It helps to trigger the “happy” chemicals in your brain which works as a mood booster. Luckily, there is no one particular activity that is considered the best workout. Choose any physical activity that you like. This could be yoga, hiking, swimming, running or a simple stroll around the block.

Organize Your Fridge

Feel stressed during the week and can’t seem to ever find something to eat in the fridge? You probably need to take a moment to organize it! Rearranging items in your fridge toward the top or front helps you see them at first glance and makes it more likely for you to snack on them. I like to keep fruits and veggies in the crisper drawers, cheese and sandwich meat in the cheese drawer, and popular beverages on the top shelf. Not only does it make them easier to see, but it also makes them easier to reach.

Clean Out Your Closet

Don’t know what to wear or simply have too many clothes? Time to make a trip to your local donation center or start some listings online. Cleaning out your closet is a great way to simplify your daily routine especially if there’s a pile of clothes towards the back you never touch. Days off are a great time to pair down and organize your stuff. I donate all of my unused clothes, but you may choose to sell your stuff if you have particularly expensive or gently used items. You can list easily on Facebook and choose contactless pickup or ship it out to your buyer as a convenient way to shape up your closet.

Prep Meals for the Week

If you have a busy schedule, you might find it beneficial to prep meals for the week. Please be advised: this is NOT a diet recommendation, it is simply a suggestion for those with a hectic schedule. You can choose things as simple as a sandwich or as difficult as a complicated timely recipe. Sometimes you don’t have time to cook during the week, so it’s easier to have a few Tupperware’s in the fridge filled with your favorite foods. Don’t like leftovers? Don’t make your meals in advance, but make a rough outline of what you want to make/eat for the week so you can save some time deliberating over what to cook.

Hopefully, this list of ideas will help you figure out what to do on your day off. Get out there and have some fun!

Eve Bennett

Chapel Hill '23

I am a current sophomore who writes and edits for Her Campus Chapel Hill.