Style > Beauty

Walgreens Beauty Shopping: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As UNC Her Campus has mentioned before, Tar Heel collegiettes take their drug store shopping seriously. We all know and love the rush of filling up those odd half-sized rolling carts. We excitedly tear open our purchases upon getting home and then frown when we realize we spent a stupid amount of money on two different shades of bronzer and four new nail polishes (justified by those lovely yellow buy one, get one 50% off tags). Walgreens on Franklin Street is our little slice of heaven in bargain-priced beauty product form. But even Walgreens gets it wrong sometimes. They try to stay hip on the trends of us college students, and sometimes, they fail. Miserably.

The Good:

Essie Nail Polish, $8.00
Essie is at Walgreens. Need I say more? There is now a wall of endless salon-quality color options to brighten your tips, all complete with ridiculous color names. Admit it, you all have, at one time or another, pondered who gets paid to come up with names like “Lapis of Luxury” and “Turquoise and Caicos.” Now, I was a little bitter to learn that Almay had been given the boot to make way for Essie but then I picked up a bottle of “Ballet Slippers” pink and was quickly placated. Well played, Walgreens.

Conair Hot Sticks Curling Iron, $17.99
This hair tool has been there for me my entire life. It has created prom curls and beachy waves. When my first Conair curling iron died (RIP), I was certain my hair would never be the same. Could a newer version of the same model really serve me just as well? I am happy to report the answer is yes. This cheap little tool has been my best hair investment. While technique is key in the creation of a perfect wave, having a tool that will never let you down is also important. Live the Hot Stick. Learn its ways. You will not regret it!

Wet N’ Wild Color Icon  Brow & Eyeliner, $0.69
You know why I love this eyeliner? Because it’s 69 cents, that’s why. You just can’t beat that. The pencils are longer than a pencil you use for school, last for more than a year AND last all day on your eyes. At this amazing price, you can pick up several different colors; I definitely recommend investing in the white pencil than can be used on your lower rim to brighten your eyes or as a highlighter color on your brow bone and cheekbones. This Wet N’ Wild eyeliner pencil multitasks like nobody’s business, all for less than a dollar. Just excuse the heinous brand name…

The Bad:

Scunci Scrunchies, $3.99
I saw these bad boys and was suddenly overwhelmed by the desire to watch a marathon of Hey Arnold and bust out my old Skip It. Then I realized it was not in fact 1997 and the only women that still proudly wear scrunchies in public are overweight middle-aged moms in the Midwest. What was once a status symbol in your gymnastics class is now a source of shame, embarrassment and a call for public ridicule. When it comes to scrunchies, just say no. Carrie Bradshaw agrees.

Fabulous Feathers Hair Extensions, $2.99
Remember last summer when there was that really strange feather hair extension craze? Well, it appears as if Walgreens has tried to hop on that Ke$ha-inspired bandwagon about seven months too late. And they feature colors such as safety-cone orange and navy. Here are a few questions you should ask yourself before picking up any hair accessory. 1. Does this accessory enhance my outfit or hairstyle in any noticeable form or fashion? 2. Does this accessory make me look like a total idiot? If you answered yes to the first and no to the second, accessorize away. If there was any hesitation at all, step away from the oversized flower hair clip.

THE UGLY:

Hask Henna N’ Placenta Conditioning Treatment, $1.99
What. Is. This?! According to the packaging, it is a deep conditioning hair treatment made with REAL ANIMAL PLACENTA. Yes you read that right, PLACENTA. I did a double take, a triple take and a quadruple take. I’m all about being creative with my hair care. I’ve smothered my hair with olive oil and avocados before, but placenta is where I draw the line. I did not sign up to be a contestant on Fear Factor and baby animal goo will not be going anywhere near my head. Period.

All Photos by Courtney Lindstrand