Van Hatchell ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Name: Van Hatchell
Hometown: Chapel Hill
Year: Senior
Major: Bachelor’s of Science in Business Administration – Entrepreneurial Studies

Favorite Coldstone/Yopo Flavor: Vanilla with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. I’m all about that peanut butter cup.

Where do you study Davis/UL/other: I either do my work down at the Business School or in my room. I’m the type of person that has to have something going on to study, so Davis and the UL don’t cut it for me.

Fun Fact: I’m really good at sleight of hand card tricks. I’m an only child. When I was growing up, I had to find ways to entertain myself. Learning card tricks was just one of the many things I did to fight boredom.

Motto: “Live life to the fullest.” – Ernest Hemingway

What are you involved in on campus?
Fellowship of Christian Athletes: Co-founder of UNC’s Chapter of FCA; was the president; currently VP. Favorite: Men’s Basketball: Walk on; number 13, shooting guard.

What do you want to do after you graduate?
I’m still not sure what I want to do. I’m leaning towards 3 things: coaching, because it runs through the family and b-ball is a big part of my life; working at a startup company, or starting my own business. I really have no clue. These three things are just what I think would be sweet.

What’s your favorite thing about UNC?
The girl to guy ratio is pretty awesome. I think it’s awesome how you can do whatever you want here. The University allows you to pick what you want to be and you can go be it. The question is only if you will work hard enough to achieve that dream.

What do you look for in a girl/whats your type?
I’m all about the girly tom boy. I like girls that are pretty and have their dress up side, but are athletic and wouldn’t be afraid to go camping and such. I also look for someone who is smart and challenging.

What do you think is most important in a relationship?
Communication is by far the key to a relationship. Being able to talk about everything, even if it’s fighting, will let you work through obstacles that cause most relationships to end. Commitment: Truly committing to the relationship and sacrificing for one another to uphold that commitment is huge. Communication and commitment grow trust and help the relationship last.

What is a turn off for you?
Smoking is a huge turn off. Also, a lack of independence and high maintenance is an instant turn off.

Campus involvement? Check!  Athletic ability? Check!  Single and ready to mingle? Check check!  These are just a few reasons why Van is this week’s campus cutie.  Having a guy that knows what he wants in a relationship but that is open to new experiences always points to a great time.  And let’s be real, who doesn’t love a UNC basketball player?  I still think that Van’s commitment and interest in Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a quality that helps him strive to be a good guy, even if the girl to guy ratio is in his favor.  So everyone, check out this week’s Campus Cutie and make sure to say “hi” next time you see him around campus.

Sophomore, PR major at UNC