The Valentine’s Day Gift Guide: Your Friends and Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, but if you haven’t bought gifts yet, don’t worry! We have the perfect suggestions for you, whether you’re buying something for your boyfriend or just a couple of your girlfriends.

For your boyfriend or girlfriend

Beer Making Kit

Most college students would be happy with a case of beer next time their friends are over, but go the extra step this year and spend a day with your significant other learning to brew beer yourselves with this beer making kit from FredFlare. The kit includes grain, hops and yeast along with a fermenter, thermometer and other tools, so you’ll be a pro brewer in no time. Drinking beer is a college staple, but how many people can say they’ve made their own brew? You’ll be the coolest girlfriend around with this out of the box gift. ($65, FredFlare.com)

Prestat Chocolates

Anyone can go to the grocery store and pick up a heart shaped box of candy, but if you really want to show how much you care, consider this luxe option. Kate Middleton and Prince William have been known to buy Prestat chocolates, so you know you’re in good company! The artisan truffle box contains 12 different flavors, so there are plenty for both of you to share. And these aren’t your average caramel and coconut, either–with flavors like Earl Grey and Ginger Fire, you can live the high life, even if just for a day. ($26.95, chelseamarketbasket.com)

Expensive chocolates a bit out of your budget? Bevello on Franklin sells treats of all price points from Dylan’s Candy Bar!

Beats by Dre Solo Headphones

If you REALLY want to show your undying affection, spring for a pair of Beats by Dre headphones. The sound quality really is amazing, and your significant other will use them for years and years to come. Plus, proceeds from the Solo HD (Red) Edition headphones benefit the Global Fund to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, and the red is perfect for Valentine’s Day, too. ($199.95, beatsbydre.com)

A Home-Cooked Dinner

If you’ve got extra money saved up for the occasion, a romantic dinner at 411 West or Lantern is the perfect way to spend Valentine’s Day. But for a special meal that’s just as thoughtful, why not make the dinner for the two of you? Cook both of your favorite foods, and set the mood with a fancy tablecloth, candles and flowers. Don’t forget to make a delicious dessert! The gesture will mean more than any expensive dinner at a restaurant.

Starbucks Gift Card

If you can’t think of another gift idea or are on a tight budget, a Starbucks gift card is a safe bet. College students run on caffeine, and with midterms approaching, a few lattes will definitely come in handy! Plus, Starbucks has a great heart printed gift card specifically for Valentine’s Day.

For your girl friends

Betsey Johnson for Sephora Mini Nail Color

What girl doesn’t love nail polish? You can never have too many, and these mini polish bottles are perfect for gift giving. Give one of each color to your friends, or give the entire set to your closest friend if you’re feeling generous. You can also tape them to a homemade valentine or a box of conversation hearts for a personal touch. ($24.50 for six, Sephora.com)

Stila Sealed with a Kiss Lip Glaze Tri

Whether or not your friends have someone special to lock lips with on Thursday, they’ll definitely appreciate these adorable lip glazes. And Stila glosses are free of parabens and sulfates, so these are perfect for your eco-conscious friend! At $12 for a pack of three, this is a steal and will cover your gift ideas for three close pals. Plus, the kiss printed packaging is adorable! ($12, Sephora.com)

Madewell Hearts Bandana

If you’re looking for a gift for a super trendy friend, this heart printed bandana will do just the trick. It’s perfect as a Valentine’s Day gift and comes in both red and black, so both your girly and edgy friends will love it. Tied to a bag or used as a headband, this is one chic accessory she’ll wear all season. ($18.50, Madewell.com)

Valentine’s Day DVD

Your boyfriend might not enjoy watching this movie with you, but it’s perfect for a girls’ night in with your friends. Give it as a gift with some chocolate and microwave popcorn, and your V-Day plans are set! ($4.25, Target.com and Target stores)

If you want to be even more resourceful, the MRC has a copy of the DVD, too. It’s in-library use only, which means you can’t bring food or drinks, but it’s still a free film, right?

No matter what you choose to give your significant other and your friends on Thursday, it’s the thought that counts, so add a homemade card or personal note to let them know how much you care. Happy Valentine’s Day, collegiettes!

Sources:

Starbucks Valentine’s Day gift card (photo): https://www.starbucks.com/card
Betsey Johnson mini nail polish (photo): http://www.sephora.com/betsey-johnson-mini-nail-colour-set-P308401?skuId=1409770
Stila Sealed with a Kiss Lip Glaze Trio (photo): http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=Valentine%27s%20Day%20Gifts&skuId=1488105&productId=P378004&_requestid=135895
Madewell hearts bandana (photo): http://www.madewell.com/madewell_category/ACCESSORIES/scarves/PRDOVR~30471/30471.jsp
Valentine’s Day DVD (photo): http://www.target.com/p/valentine-s-day-2010-ws-ac3-dol-ecoa/-/A-12416471#prodSlot=medium_1_15&term=valentines+day

Meghan is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying classics and English. She has interned at Girls' Life and Parenting magazines and was a Collegiate Correspondent with USA TODAY in Spring 2012. Meghan loves all things entertainment related and plans to move to New York and work for a national magazine after graduating in May 2013.
Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!