The (Untraditional) Holiday Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Looking to revamp your Christmas playlist this season? Tired of the same old Bill Crosby playing on the radio? Well then look no further! Her Campus has compiled a list of both new and old Christmas songs that are sure to put you in the holiday spirit!

1. Where Christmas is Found- Cameron Mitchell & aprilemade

From the hit reality show, The Glee Project, Cameron Mitchell teams up with the ever so talented aprilemade to create this indie-fantastic Christmas original. If you love this, there’s plenty more where that came from. Check out their EP, For You, on iTunes.

2. In Like a Lion (Always Winter)- Relient K

Fun fact: Relient K actually wrote this song with the film,  The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in mind. While it didn’t make the cut for the final soundtrack, we’re still left with an awesome Christmas original and an even better Christmas album!

3. Christmas Lights- Coldplay

Nothing says Christmas like a sad song about lost love. No, but really, this song is still a great listen. I mean it’s Coldplay so you really can’t go wrong.

4. Love is Christmas- Sara Bareilles

What is the true meaning of Christmas? Love. Why yes, yes it is Sara Bareilles. And we lovelovelove this beautiful Christmas original.

5. Santa Tell Me- Ariana Grande

While we would have loved to see her cover Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” this track doesn’t disappoint. It’s complete with upbeat melodies and powerful riffs all in pure Ari form.

6. Christmas Must Be Something More- Taylor Swift

This Christmas, go old school Taylor Swift with this adorable track about remembering the deeper meaning of Christmas. Complete with guitar strums and a little country twang, this one’s sure to make you grin from ear to ear.

7. Mistletoe- Lucy Hale

Adding some more country Christmas to the mix, budding new artist Lucy Hale has a little something special for you for the holiday season.

8. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas- She & Him

If you loved Zooey Deschanel’s rendition of “Baby It’s Cold Outside” in Elf, then you’re sure to fall in love with this Christmas track. Actually you should really just buy the whole album, because it’s holiday perfection.

9. Winter Wonderland/Don’t Worry Be Happy- Pentatonix Featuring Tori Kelly

People are already buzzing about Pentatonix’s version of “Mary Did You Know?” but what about this awesome track featuring the ever so talented Tori Kelly? So many amazing voices all in one track!  

10. Merry Christmas Darling- Christina Perri

Like always Christina’s voice is ah-mazing on this track. Put on your cozy sweater and grab a mug of hot chocolate as you blast this sweet melody in your room.

11. Baby It’s Cold Outside- Michael Buble and Idina Menzel

Okay, if you haven’t already seen this music video check it out now! In classic roaring twenties fashion, these mini-Michael and mini-Idina are super adorable as they dance and sing around the hotel lobby.

12. Christmas Medley- Us the Duo

Mixing all the best Christmas hits in this super adorable medley, the even more adorable couple that is Michael and Carissa Alvarado (yep, they’re married!) will make you fall in love with Christmas and their killer melodies.

Kelsie Gibson

Chapel Hill

Kelsie Gibson is a senior Communication Studies major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is from Kannapolis, NC. She is a member of Phi Beta Chi sorority. She loves to sing, act, write, and spend time with family and friends.