UNC’s First Annual Magazine Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

A select group of UNC students involved in CAFME (Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors), UNC’s magazine club and official Ed2010 branch, traveled to the Big Apple to meet and greet writers and editors from Parents Magazine, Glamour, Redbook and Details. Three days packed with tours, interviews and NYC food created amazing networking opportunities. Everyone on the trip left with contacts and a better sense of the magazine industry in New York City. Several Her Campus staff writers and our Campus Correspondent (and President of CAFME) Sierra Piland attended the trip; if you have any questions about CAFME or the (hopefully) annual NYC trip, feel free to contact us!

Dinner at Dos Caminos the first night of the trip.

From left: HC UNC writers Mary Avant, Emily Nycum and EIC, Missy Fournier. Also pictured: Meghan Demaria, Cafme member and UNC student.

From left: Cafme member Dan Byrnes, HC staffer Amanda MacLaren and HC Campus Correspondent Sierra Piland. Also pictured: Alison Ives, Cafme member and UNC student.

Sierra Piland is a Journalism – Graphic Design and Communication Studies – Media Production double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, class of 2012. She is President of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors (CAFME), the Ed2010 branch at UNC-CH and Design Director of UNC’s popular fashion magazine Kaleidoscope. She has also been on staff with The Daily Tar Heel design department. This past summer, she interned with MTV Networks working in the .com department of CMT (Country Music Television) and is currently an intern at Southern Weddings Magazine. Sierra has a passion for art and design but is also thoroughly interested in filmmaking and the entertainment industry. When she has time, she loves to get away to the beach or mountains with friends and family.