UNC: What to see and what to skip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

While my fellow Tar Heels prepared to go home for Easter weekend, I took the time to stroll around campus and really take in all that Carolina has to offer – the good, the bad, and the underappreciated.

The Good

The Old Well

First and foremost, Carolina is not Carolina without its signature monument: The Old Well. What initially was a water supply for the Old West and Old East dormitories, the Old Well has become a symbol of the university and its history. It is also one of the most beautiful spots on campus when spring comes around – as you can already see.

Keenan Memorial Stadium

It is not the Dean Dome, but who said that was the only good sports venue at Carolina? Kenan Stadium is the home of Carolina’s football team. During the fall, students, friends, and alumni pack the bleachers and cheer on the Tar Heels to victory! But what makes this location so special is its view. The Carolina blue sky and green field is the epitome of scenic divinity.    

The Bad   

Brick Monsters

What others see as sun-dried pieces of clay, Tar Heels see as the epitome of social embarrassment and potentially social suicide. The bricks used to pave Carolina’s walkways are so uneven, or even infrequent – seeing that they always go missing, that anyone who walks the pavement will guarantee trip. To make matters worse, someone will see your stumble! There is no recovery.

Pollen

Death be to all things pollen! Seriously, no one likes pollen and Carolina seems to have an abundance of the unwelcome allergen. If there is anything that Tar Heels hate about
spring, then it’s the pollen take over.

The Underappreciated

The Forest Theater

“I’ll pass on sitting in the Pit. I’m going to go hang out at Forest Theater.” When was the last time you heard someone say that on campus? The Forest Theater, located on North Campus across from Jackson Hall, is a stone amphitheater used for outdoor drama performances. It’s a cool, quiet place you can go to when you just want to get away from the campus frenzy at Carolina. Fun fact: The Forest Theater also serves as a venue for wedding ceremonies!

The Coker Arboretum

Okay, the Arboretum has a bad reputation on campus. While it is extremely creepy at night – use the buddy system, please – it is very beautiful and calming in the day! Anyone who adores nature and all its gifts should definitely sit in or around the Arboretum during her free time. Give it a chance. You may just fall in love!

Sources:
The Old Well
http://www.unc.edu/tour/LEVEL_2/well.htm

The Forest Theater
http://ncbg.unc.edu/forest-theatre/

Sophomore, PR major at UNC