UNC Senior Year Checklist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

After getting through the first week of school this year, seniors at UNC-Chapel Hill realized that it was the last fall semester “FDOC”(first day of classes) they would ever have as an undergraduate. Seniors began to realize that Aug. 21, 2012 began a series of “lasts” for them: last first night out, last fall syllabus week, last first football game; the list goes on. As a senior myself, I want to make sure that I do every typical Tar Heel tradition possible before I graduate. That is why I felt it completely necessary to make a senior checklist.

Once it’s over, life as an undergraduate college student at UNC-Chapel Hill will be but a crazy, awesome, magical memory. My goal is to make that memory the most unforgettable one yet. I’m sure seniors has most of these accomplished, but it couldn’t hurt to re-live them if you have already done them! Senior year will fly by, but let’s make it the best one yet; here goes!

1. UNC v. Duke Basketball Game: Everyone saw this coming. If you are a Tar Heel, you know how essential this one is. No matter how old we get, we will always find it in our hearts to hate Duke. What better way to show that than at the game? So, pray that the lottery doesn’t let you down, get your ticket, make that long walk to the Dean Dome and experience the intense rivalry with the Devils up-close and personal!

2. Football Game: Everyone has to go to at least one football game as a senior. I would recommend the East Carolina University game or the NC State University game because those tend to be the best. Nothing is better than being in that huge and beautiful stadium on a college game day!
3. Halloween on Frankin St.: If you haven’t done this yet, I am shocked. Halloween on Franklin St. is an absolute blast. Tons of people in ridiculous costumes flood the street and go wild. There are some very interesting costumes, so make sure to get creative; the more “out-there,” the better!
4. Bar Scene: There are an insane amount of bars on Franklin St., so you should definitely be getting to all those before you graduate (if you are 21-years-old, of course). Some of the bars have established traditions at UNC-Chapel Hill. This is not to say all of the bars aren’t awesome, but these are some of my personal favorites!
a. He’s Not Here, Karaoke: On Sunday nights, it’s the place to be. You should go there anyway because it’s great, but karaoke is a must. A
b. East End, Country Night: Although most of the seniors have had their fair share of this, it’s crucial that you experience it at least once, or every Tuesday night. What is better than quarter beer and country music? Exactly.
c. Top of the Hill, Blueberry Wheat Beer: If you have had one of these, you know it is amazing. I personally love all of their beers, but nothing beats this one.
5. Clef Hangers Concert: Who doesn’t love the Clef Hangers? They are always looking handsome with their bowties and khaki pants, and their voices are amazing. They will serenade any girl if you listen to them for even just one song. Make sure you check out their concerts and other events they perform at. You won’t be sorry!

6. Senior Week: In the spring, there will be another week full of activities like there was at the beginning of the semester. There will more than likely be bar golf, Bell Tower climb, senior bar night and tons of other exciting events. It is a tradition that any senior should be sure and attend.
7. Last Day of Classes (LDOC): You have two chances to do this before you graduate, but LDOC in the spring semester is always the best. It doesn’t matter how many times you have participated in LDOC before senior year, you cannot pass it up this year! Go out, go to bars, have fun with friends and celebrate being a senior.
8. GRADUATION: Well, this is the big one; it includes your final moments at UNC-Chapel Hill. Not that anyone would miss this, but make sure you have the best time and get the most out of graduation day. Snap hundreds of pictures, cry, laugh and enjoy it. Graduation is something every senior cherishes, and that is something that you will remember forever.

This checklist is definitely not complete, and you should do way more than this during your senior; but it is just something to get your started. Have fun, live it up, and have the best senior year. After all, we are at the most amazing and beautiful school imaginable. Go Heels!

Basketball Student Section (Photo): Blog: http://www.ytravelblog.com/michael-jordan-and-the-north-carolina-experie…
Old Well (Photo): Kenan-Flagler Business School: http://www.rizzoconferencecenter.com/unc-chapel-hill-hotels.php
Graduation (Photo): UNC News: http://uncnews.unc.edu/content/view/5321/68/
Clef Hangers Group Picture (Photo): Clef Hangers: http://clefhangers.com/

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!