Wellness > Mental Health

#TurkeyTalk: These Are a Few More of My Favorite Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Last year I wrote a piece for Thanksgiving about a few of my favorite things, and, this year, I think it’s important to take the time to think about those again. They’re very likely a lot of the same things, but they’re still just as important to me, and sometimes, that stuff deserves a little extra recognition. Here it is, a few of my favorites:

I’m grateful for my family. For my little brother who has just started getting to the age of mischief. For my mom who lets me call her after a rough day to plan a Turner Classic Movie rewatch. For my dad and his endless wealth of advice on cooking, fixing and planning for the future.

I’m grateful for my friends. The film kids who pop off with their snappy references, skill in abundance and constant sense of fun. My co-ed fraternity friends who are enormously generous, kind and inclusive. My beach friends who I don’t get to see that often anymore, but thank god we keep the group chat alive while we can’t be there in person. And “The Quadropupple,” the Day Ones, the Best Friend Squad since freshman year. Even though we’re flung across the four corners of the Earth right now, I can’t wait for the semester we’re all reunited.

I’m grateful for my little room in my little house. It’s the first time I’ve had my own space in three years, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to get home, close my door, turn on my lights and breathe into my own private little nook. What’s more, I’m grateful to have a place to stay at all.

I’m grateful for my opportunities. The privilege I was born into and the stray chances that have been offered to me have been crucial in creating who I am, and I’d be remiss not to credit them with my successes.

I’m grateful for this past year of self-discovery. I know better now what I value in other people. I know what I value in myself and what I expect in the near future. The road to greater self-respect and self-esteem is a long one, but I’ve gotten further this year than ever before, and I’m so glad I get to continue.

I’m grateful for the plants on my desk, the pictures on my wall, the coffee in my mug and the sweater I am wearing.

I’m grateful for tomorrow. And today.

I’m grateful I get to start my Saturday morning off by writing this piece.

I’m grateful.  

Ellie Baker

Chapel Hill '21

Ellie Baker is a junior studying English and Film Production and minoring in Writing for the Screen and Stage. When not working on a writing project, she can often be found buried in a sketchbook, rifling through thrift shops, or working as a pirate guide down at Bald Head Island.