This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

For all of our DIY pros, this article is for you! These gift ideas might also help you save money, which, as college students, we all love. Here are my recommendations for homemade gifts that are sure to make your best friend smile this holiday season!

Recipe/Cocktail Book

A recipe book is perfect for anyone in your life whether you fill it with family recipes or just look them up off of foodnetwork.com (because hey, we don’t judge). For friends who enjoy experimenting with new flavorful drinks, try compiling a list of cocktails for them to try and adding pictures and recipes into a scrapbook. Regardless of the kind of recipe book, this is definitely top of the list for me!

Artwork

Regardless of your preferred medium, artwork has always been my favorite gift for friends and family. This could be a painting, embroidery wheel, digital art, collages, poetry, etc. Whatever your preferred creative outlet is, something personalized is always the way to go. Get those creative juices flowing and make something beautiful this holiday season!

Memory Scrapbook

Much like the recipe book, scrapbooks are perfect for anyone in your life. For my best friend’s birthday last year, I made a scrapbook filled with all our funny memories and inside jokes. It was a HUGE hit. I would suggest filling the scrapbook with all of your favorite jokes, memories and souvenirs (ticket stubs, pictures, menus, receipts, etc) that you two share. Happy scrapbooking!

“Open When…” Letters

Though not as exciting as a letter from Hogwarts, “Open when…” letters are so adorable and perfect for long distance friendships! I always thought they were kind of cheesy, but ever since I got back into the knack of writing letters, I have loved this idea. Some ideas include: open when you miss me, open when you’re sad, open when you want to plan our next adventure, open when you’re lonely, etc. Trust me, this is not just for cute Instagram couples and, as someone who loves handwritten letters; this can be something that your friend will hold on to forever!

Painted Pots

As someone who has more houseplants than she does friends, I would DIE for personalized plant pots from my best friend. This also happens to be one of my cheapest suggestions! All you need is a teracotta pot and either sharpies or paint to put your creative touch on something that’ll be both practical and personal!

With Christmas just around the corner, consider these homemade gifts for friends and family!

Grace Garner

Chapel Hill '23

English and Journalism double-major at UNC Chapel Hill just waiting to live out her dark academia aesthetic. https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace-garner-4244011a6/