prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 5 Reasons to Send Snail Mail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

In an age where emails, text messages, snapchats, Facebook posts and Instagram photos seem to be a quicker way to tell the world how you’re doing, taking the time to stuff that envelope, lick the stamp and walk to the nearest mailing center can sometimes be an even better way to keep in touch! Sending it to your loved ones and professionals can be an even better way to stay on someone’s mind than that generic (and less sincere) “Hope all is well” email.

1. Your Boss’ Birthday

Or your old boss’ birthday. Sending a card in the mail to your boss shows that you thought about them, you planned to get them a small token in a timely manner and you’re a genuine person. It’s also a good reminder to get them to remember you when that next position becomes available.

2. Thank You Notes or Treats

Did a coworker do something nice, like help you out with a major assignment? Did your supervisor give you good advice? Somebody leaving the workplace? Even if you couldn’t stand that person, it’s always a good idea to show some class and give an appreciative note for all they’ve done. I’ll never forget my experience at my first internship, where I couldn’t stand a fellow intern. I stopped by a local grocery store and picked her up a coffee and muffin on her last day. In my defense, it was a GREAT day for everyone!

3. Holidays

The holidays are a great time to send someone a quick note without making up a reason. Just make sure whoever you’re sending it to actually celebrates the holiday you mention!

4. When You Change Jobs/Locations

It’s always a good idea to keep everyone in your professional network updated as to what you are doing. You never know when someone will have an opportunity for you! While LinkedIn is always a great tool, sending a note via snail mail will immediately tell the recipient you thought about them enough to sit down and write and mail a note.

5. Thinking of You

One of the best pieces of advice I ever received while at UNC was to tell someone what they did for you, even if they don’t know it! They say hindsight is a beautiful thing and acknowledging how a person helped you is an even more beautiful.

So there you have it, the Top 5 reasons to send snail mail to your professional network! Are there any other reasons to send it? Let me know in the comment box below!

Elise McGlothian is a Junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She plans to graduate in 2016 with a degree in Broadcast Electronic Journalism. Since starting her collegiate life, Elise has decided to pursue a career a Television and Entertainment Producer so she can spread messages of self-respect, share the hardships and triumphs of others and become a resource to all.