The Top 4 Women’s Sites (Besides Her Campus!) You Need to Bookmark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

We all do our reading for class each week (obvi!), but we also love to keep up with non-assigned reading, whether it’s the latest issue of Vogue or The Hunger Games. If you’re looking for new sites where you can get your article-reading fix, check out a few of our favorites, and be sure to add them to your bookmarks toolbar!

1. xoJane.com

Created by legendary journalist Jane Pratt, who created Sassy and Jane magazines), these site bills itself as a place “where women go when they are being selfish.” Pratt’s philosophy is that it’s okay–and healthy!–to self-indulge every once in awhile, and xoJane.com allows readers to do just that.

xoJane.com includes everything from fashion tips to articles on social justice issues. Each contributor and editor lets her unique voice shine in her writing, so there’s a lot of diversity in the site, even though its writers all stay true to its common theme. One of the most popular categories, “It Happened to Me,” includes stories ranging from heart-wrenching (“My Baby Daughter Died at Two Weeks Old”) to light-hearted (“I’m a Real Housewife of Beverly Hills”). Other tabs on the site include articles on everything from political issues to what plus-size women should wear to the gym, so there are definitely articles to interest everyone. Comedian Margaret Cho is also a contributor, so you’ll enjoy her articles if you like to laugh!

2. HelloGiggles.com

HelloGiggles was founded by Zooey Deschanel and is everything you would expect from the multi-talented celebrity. The site has a great section of reader-submitted nail art as well as fun pop culture articles. If you’re in the mood for something more serious told from a woman’s perspective, the site frequently publishes articles on reproductive rights and same-sex marriage, too. HelloGiggles also includes a number of helpful articles on growing up and adjusting to college, so it’s a great resource if you’re feeling lost or overwhelmed.

3. The Cut

New York Magazine’s The Cut offers coverage of high-fashion runway shows during fashion weeks as well as fashion news posts from all of the months in between. The site also focuses on celebrity news and interviews, whether that means talking to Francois Nars about the Andy Warhol-inspired collection or the latest on Justin Bieber’s drop-crotch pants. And be sure to read the comments on the articles–they’re often as entertaining as the posts themselves.

4. xoVain.com

xoVain.com just launched this month and is a great outlet for all things beauty. Its writers give honest product reviews told through their own stories and experiences, and they provide photos of themselves so you’ll see how products actually work. They have contributors of all ethnicities and publish articles on everything from skincare to conditioner, so whether you’re a beauty junkie or a newbie, you’ll learn something new from the site’s team of experts. Plus, you can buy their recommendations directly through the site–how cool is that?

These are just a few of the sites we’ve been frequenting lately, but we would love to hear what you all are reading as well. What are your favorite websites, women-centric or otherwise? Let us know in the comments section!

Sources:

Nail art (photo): Nails of the Day, From Our Readers, HelloGiggles http://hellogiggles.com/nails-of-the-day-412

Kate Middleton (photo): The Kate Middleton Lookbook, The Cut http://nymag.com/thecut/2012/08/kate-middleton-look-book.html

Pointy Nails (photo): Long, Fake and Pointy: My Week with WTF Nails, Annie, XoVain http://www.xovain.com/nails/long-fake-and-pointy-my-week-with-wtf-nails

Meghan is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying classics and English. She has interned at Girls' Life and Parenting magazines and was a Collegiate Correspondent with USA TODAY in Spring 2012. Meghan loves all things entertainment related and plans to move to New York and work for a national magazine after graduating in May 2013.
Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!