Tip of the Tongue Syndrome or is it Something More?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Ever have those moments where you just can’t find the words to express how you’re feeling or what you’re doing? It may not be entirely your fault! It turns out there is a vast amount of words from other languages that are simply untranslatable to English. You may actually be familiar with some of them too (Kvetch, anyone?). Anyway, the next time you can’t find what you want to say, don’t hesitate to switch to Spanish, French or even Russian! Check out this quick list of examples for the next time you want to say something that’s just better not in English!

Desbundar(Brazilian Portuguese)
Definition: This word is a verb which means to shed your inhibitions and self-restraint, and have fun, causing wonderment and surprise from others with your unusual behavior.

Sabsung(Thai)
Definition: This word describes what cheers you up or what livens up your day when you’re feeling bored or tired. Similar to the Japanese word ikigai, it is whatever makes you feel happy to be alive, or what makes your life worth living.

Empalagarse(Spanish)
Definition: Also a verb, this word describes the act of the sensation your tongue has after eating too many sweets. This could be a fun word to use when you need some milk after cupcakes at Sugarland!

Estrenar(Spanish)
Definition: To wear or use something for the first time.

Kæk(Danish)
Definition: Use this word to describe someone who is cocky and adventurous, with a gung-ho spirit. Unlike the English word “cocky,” it usually has a positive connotation in the Danish language.

Aigoo(Korean)
Definition: This is a word said while sighing, or wanting to sigh. It expresses frustration, pain and resignation. English may just have an equivalent…FML.

Won(Korean)
Definition: Some sources define it as the reluctance on a person’s part to let go of an illusion. Some have actually related it to what “ghosts would feel if they were haunting someone from their life.”

Zastóy(Russian)
Definition: Intellectual stagnation, plain and simple.

Pochemuchka(Russian)
Definition:A person who asks the question, “why?” all the time. Alternatively, it can be a person who is just always asking questions.

Guanxi
(Mandarin)
Definition: A word for the social networks and influential relationships in the business world. (It has a deeper meaning than the word “connections” in English.)

If you’re procrastinating studying for finals and want to find more untranslatable words, check out this article on Matador Network and my favorite, betterthanenglish.com!

Sources:
Desbundar (photo): Tumblr, http://takeeoffyourcolours.tumblr.com/
Aigoo (photo): CNN.com, http://edition.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/04/12/stop.procrastinating.tips.rs/index.html
Guanxi (photo): Dragonbn.com, http://www.dragonbn.com/articles?page=7

Sophomore, PR major at UNC