These Lyrics Perfectly Describe Our Quarantine Feelings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

These days, I’ve been listening to a lot of music. And, while there’s a slew of quarantine playlists now, I’ve realized that even some of my favorite songs have some lyrics that are applicable to our current situation. Here are some lyrics I’ve stumbled upon that perfectly describe all of these quarantine feelings.

“Spendin’ all my nights alone, waitin’ for you to call me”

I have no idea how many times I’ve listened to this song in the past two days, let alone the past month. Not only is BROCKHAMPTON a great band, but I think we’ve all been bored just waiting for a call to keep us company during these days. Let’s just say I’ve been FaceTiming my mom a lot more often so I can get some much-needed socialization.

“Memorize the creaks in the floor”

This quarantine has reignited my Taylor Swift passion, and I may or may not have made all my coworkers listen to every album of hers. Cornelia Street might be a love song, but I’ve become much more familiar with my living space… almost too familiar. Who else has memorized all the creaking spots of their living space?

“Bored of bein’ all alone/ Just hopin’ I’d find purpose in these pictures on my phone”

Let’s just say I don’t look forward to seeing analytic updates on my phone about my screen time. These past couple weeks, I’ve found myself scrolling through the same pictures and the same tweets over and over again. Still searching for that purpose, just like Tessa Violet.

“Long ago I reached for you and there you stood/ Holding you again could only do me good”

Carole King’s Tapestry is a masterpiece, and I’ve found myself listening to “So Far Away” way more often. To be honest, every lyric in the song applies to our current situation, but these two lines perfectly encapsulate how isolating quarantine and social distancing are. I’m looking forward to hugging some friendly faces whenever this passes!

“I thought this place was heaven sent/ But now it’s just a monument in my mind”

Not only has this time been hard on us and our loved ones, but our institutions as well. Your views on the United States and/or the government might be tainted, given the lack of swift response, but I’m also missing the monuments in my every day life. I can’t wait to walk into Wilson Library again and hang out on the quad!

“Oh, I’ve been feeling kinda low/ Trapped in my head from the moment I wake up”

The overall vibe of these times is… low. While there have been some really great TV shows coming out (Outer Banks on Netflix, anyone?), it’s hard to keep my mind off more dire situations. Our own pschyes might feel more containing than the stay-at-home orders, but try your best to distract yourself!

“I keep dancing on my own/ I’m just gonna dance all night”

One of my favorite distractions? Dancing! I’ve been using Spotify way more often, queuing it up whenever I need a dance break. Bored and need a mood lift? Let’s dance. Just finished another school assignment? A celebration dance is in order. Not only is dancing a great distraction, but it’s also a mood booster. Plus, this quarantine has proven that time is a mere construct, so who is to say we can’t dance all night if we want to?

And there you have it! There are numerous songs that apply to these times, but I hope you can add these to your current playlist. Stay well and keep dancing!

Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.