Summer Reading 101 a.k.a. What to Buy With Your Textbook Refund Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you enjoyed “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins, then read…

“Divergent” by Veronica Roth
“Divergent” follows the story of a young girl named Tris, who lives in a society where, once you turn sixteen, you must make a choice to devote your life to one of five virtues: honesty, peace, bravery, selflessness or knowledge. Tris has grown up in Abnegation (the selfless) but is that where she is meant to be? The first of this trilogy follows Tris as she makes her choice and gets a bit more than she bargained for. P.S. As you fly through this book, take comfort in the fact that Roth’s second novel “Insurgent” will be released May 1st!

If you’re all caught up in the election frenzy, then check out…

“The Presidents Club: Inside the World’s Most Exclusive Fraternity” by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy
This behind-the-scenes work of non-fiction, written by the deputy managing editor and executive editor of Time magazine, closely examines multiple presidencies. The book begins with Herbert Hoover and works its way to Barack Obama.  It rifles through each President’s private affairs, secrets, rivalries, missions, and back-stabbings and looks at how, through it all, these men remain bound together by their same oath and office.

If you enjoyed the movie (and want some good, old-fashioned chick lit), then go buy…

“The Lucky One” by Nicholas Sparks
“The Lucky One” is about U.S. Marine Logan Thibault, who returns home from Iraq determined. During his tour, he came across the photograph of a young woman and carried it with him as a good luck charm (which reminds me, you should also read “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien). Once his tour ends, he sets out on a mission to find this smiling woman and, once he does, he begins to fall for her. But will the secret reason behind his visit ruin their budding relationship? (Spoiler Alert: Nicholas Sparks wrote it.)

If you’re want to re-read a timeless classic, then try…

“Pride & Prejudice” by Jane Austen
The famous “Pride & Prejudice” is the story of Elizabeth Bennet, one of five daughters growing up in early 19th-century England. While her mother obsesses over marrying off her daughters and Elizabeth’s younger sisters fawn over the upcoming balls and arrival of the militia, Elizabeth finds herself distracted by a mysterious and brooding gentleman called Mr. Darcy. Determined to hate him for his pride (and prejudices), Elizabeth struggles with the realization that perhaps they aren’t so different after all…

If you’re a fan of the HBO series, then pick up…

“A Game of Thrones” by George R.R. Martin
This first novel of the “A Song of Ice and Fire” series is a NY Times bestseller. Set in the fictional land of Westeros, this book gives a reader a glimpse into the political schemes of the nobles that live throughout the Seven Kingdoms. Narrated by eight of the main characters, “A Game of Thrones” is, at its core, a thrilling mystery complete with murder, romance and a little bit of magic. Still not convinced? Sean Bean stars in the show. Enough said.

If you’re just looking for a (really) raunchy beach read, then consider…

“Fifty Shades of Grey” by E.L. James
Initially written as a piece of “Twilight” fanfiction, this Seattle-set novel follows college student Anastasia Steele as she becomes involved with the dangerous (-ly handsome) young millionaire, Christian Grey. Of course, there is much more to him than meets the eye. Intrigued by his charm and good looks but struggling with the knowledge that he is bad news, Anastasia just can’t seem to stay away. NOTE: This book is very racy and should not, under any circumstances, be read aloud or in the presence of your mother.

Citations:
Divergent (photo): Veronicrothbooks.blogspot.com. 14 Sept 2010. 26 Apr 2012. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dipXdu9QryU/TIupjzY1vsI/AAAAAAAAAh8/9EC03NOMqWs/s1600/Divergent+hc+c%282%29.jpg

Game of Thrones (photo): fanpop.com. 26 Apr 2012. http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/20100000/Game-of-Thrones-Tie-in-Cover-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-20154638-794-1213.jpg

Greenberg, David. “Book review: ‘The Presidents Club,’ by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy.” WashingtonPost.com. 27 Apr 2012. 27 Apr 2012. < http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/151350000/151357716.JPG

Norfolk, Pam. “Book Review: The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.” Pendletoday.co.uk. 24 Apr 2012. 26 Apr 2012. <http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment-news/book-review-the-lucky-one-by-nicholas-sparks-1-4475058>.

Sophomore, PR major at UNC