Successful Women of UNC Stay Focused

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Tar Heels are motivated young women who are determined to succeed.  Even with distractions, such as all this early warm weather, the girls are still hitting the books hard — only now they post up their notecards and laptops on blankets outside and against trees (instead of in a tiny cubby in Davis).  Just take a look around Chapel Hill and you’ll see women with a purpose who aren’t afraid to show it. Beautiful weather isn’t a distraction for these young ladies!

Katelijn Berckmans, a freshman Psychology major, said, “Being around people motivates me, but also I need my own space.  Being outside is a combination of the two.  It creates a perfect environment for studying.”

Amanda Modica, a senior Public Policy and Spanish double major, studied on a blanket in the quad.  Modica just got a job with Triage Consulting in Atlanta that begins after she graduates in May.  She said, “I think the warmer weather helps me focus better on work because I’m able to enjoy being outside and get work done.” 

Another senior, Nina Rajagopalan, leaned against a tree while getting her work done.  Rajagopalan is a Geography major with a minor in Music and Anthropology.  After graduation in May, she is moving to Portland. 

Aisha Venugopal studied Spanish flashcards outside before her test.  Venugopal, a freshman Biology and Psychology double major, loves to study outside.  She said, “I think the warm weather keeps me focused better.  I can take a mental break to look at the scenery.”

Sophomore, PR major at UNC