Spring/Summer Hiking Tips for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Spring is well on its way, launching the exciting return to outdoor sports and activities. As the weather grows warmer and the flowers bloom, hikers are lacing up their boots and heading for the trails. My first hiking experience was last summer in Utah; I hiked petrified sand dunes in Snow Canyon State Park. I really enjoyed the challenge of learning to trust my body and overcoming my fear of heights. Hiking can be a great way to burn calories and stay fit but, it can also be extremely intimidating for unprepared beginners.

Here are a few tips and essentials to help you prepare for your first hike:

1. Drink lots of water!

I cannot stress this tip enough. It is important to drink plenty of water before, during and after a hike. Invest in a hydration pack or something similar! They make it easy to stay hydrated without having to carry bulky bags. Also, a lot of hydration packs come with pockets and compartments to hold other belongings as well.

2. Protect your feet!

Not willing to invest in hiking boots/shoes? Prevent blisters with these inexpensive items:

• Vaseline will help keep your feet moisturized! Rub a generous amount onto your feet before putting on socks.

• Duct tape will help protect sensitive areas of your feet while you walk! Pad the ball of your feet, heel area, etc…

• Lamb’s Wool Padding works a lot like the duct tape, but it is much more gentle and less stiff.

• Double-layer socks will help relieve friction. Some companies make double-layered hiking socks, but you could easily wear two pairs of regular socks.

3. Bring Snacks

Carry small snacks, nothing too heavy. Dried fruit and nuts will help keep you energized but, will not weigh you down!

4. Protect your skin!

Make sure to bring plenty of sunblock or sunscreen. Try to find a brand that is sweat/waterproof so that you will not sweat it off.

5. Take pictures

If it is safe, make sure to take plenty of pictures! Some hiking trails feature cool  historical sites, geographical features or unique wildlife; Capture these things! Also, take a picture of yourself before and after you complete the hike. You’ll feel proud when you look at them later!

Photos:

Camelbak Marathoner 2 Litre Hydration Pack: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-marathoner-2-litre-hydration-pack-1/

Preferred Plus Lamb’s Wool Padding: http://www.shopping.com/preferred-plus-lambs-wool-lamb-s-wool-padding-preferred-plus/info?sb=1

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!