#SpringCleaning: Cleaning Tips for a Better World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s #SpringCleaning week at Her Campus at Chapel Hill. Feel free to try some of these tips for your next cleaning project!

Scuff Mark Eraser

Do you ever get those annoying scuff marks on the floor? In my old dorm room, our chairs created these marks from moving on the floor. What did I do to solve the problem? Well, according to several online blogs, clean tennis balls can actually remove those marks with just a light rub. Try it out for yourself!

Washing Shower Curtains

Shower curtains are destined to attract grime and mold. Instead of throwing out your shower curtain, it might save time and money to wash it. You can actually toss the curtain into the washing machine with some towels, adding 1/2 cup of baking soda with your regular detergent in the wash cycle and 1/2 cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle. Once it’s done, let it air-dry, and then just simply hang it back up!

Dust and Electronics

If you’re like me, you’ve probably suffered from repeatedly cleaning your electronics when they accumulate dust. A quick swipe from a microfiber cloth will surely solve the problem. Amazon also sells long-handled brushes that can take care of those tight spaces.

Vacuuming 

Although there aren’t many ways to improperly vacuum, it is important that you have the right vacuum cleaner for the job. For example, make sure you choose the vacuum that will work best with your flooring. Some vacuum cleaners come with beater bars and should not be used on rugs made of wool or silk.

Organization

I like to be organized, so when I begin spring cleaning, I always wonder what I need as opposed to what could be thrown out. A good way to stay organized is to take an inventory of everything you have. Do you need to keep it? Does it belong in a specific room? Try to remove all extraneous items that you don’t need anymore. Afterward, look at what remains and decide where you could move it to serve its purpose better.

Cleaning can be a tedious process, but it doesn’t have to be. Get an early start on your spring cleaning!

Casey Crisp

Chapel Hill '19

Casey is a current Senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  She is double majoring in English and History and minoring in Global Film studies.  Casey enjoys reading fantasy fiction, listening to music, and writing her own creative fiction.